[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
inappropriate school library books : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

inappropriate school library books

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: inappropriate school library books

Postby Lilly Starshine » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread that I started. I have been haveing internet problems. I had no idea that I would get this many responses. I am ashamed to say, that I, too was on the "Harry Potter is evil" bandwagon. Yes, I now realize that I was an idiot. The book I before mentioned is not the worst one out there, by content, I mean. When I was in 8'th grade I read a fictional series where a 14yr old gets gang raped and she likes to strip naked and cut herself. A lots of books I read gave me bad idea's that I would not have had if not for a book I found in my school library. I should not have had access to such fiction. I dont want my kids to read that kind of stuff any more than I want my kids to what an R or MA rated movie or TV show. This is what I was talking about. Anyway, thanks for all the responses.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:28 am

I totally get what you are saying Lilly. You are looking for more age appropriate stuff in your kids school library. It sounds like your child is 7th or 8th grade and depending on the kid, that stuff is a bit much. Sometimes kids don't know what they are getting into when they start reading. It's not just a matter of whether or not something is banned. Or just knowing what your kids are up to or being open about what is out in the world. The truth is it is impossible to tell what the content is by reading the summary of a book.

In a school library the books have a reading grade level range on them. It has nothing to do with content but everything to do with a child's reading ability. My 11-yr-old reads at a higher reading level than my 15 and 16 year old daughters. So if she is capable of reading a book that ranges in a grade level 7-11 when she is in 5th grade does that mean she has to check out books with mild sexual content? It just might. She doesn't even like kissing. But the teacher will require her to check out books for her book reports that are in her reading level even though she is perfectly happy reading books about "Origami Yoda" and "Diary of Wimpy Kid". We have had to look up reviews on Amazon to see what the content is on some of the books she starts reading when she feels uncomfortable with the content. We have had to set several books aside as a result. If there is something else out there that is more useful, I am not aware of it. I would love to be enlightened.

Now, I have 5 kids. I am an involved and very active parent. But I don't have time to read everything my kids put their hands on. I barely have time to read for myself sometimes. But I remember reading years ago that they were talking about putting ratings on YA books. Then I don't remember what happened but that never came to pass. You know, I can look up on Netflix why a movie is PG-13. I would love to be able to look up books the same way. I know my girls would like to as well.

I made the mistake of assuming when my daughter was a sophomore that the accelerated English teacher wouldn't assign a book for the class to read that had questionable sexual content. And I was wrong.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 am

Hey, Lily, I totally support your right as a parent to keep your children from reading Harry Potter. What I can't agree with is that you have the right to keep MY kid from reading it.

I completely understand the frustration over having a teacher assign a questionable book as required reading, but the problem is if you look at the list of "challenged" books over the years, you'll start to see that no matter what is written, someone somewhere will find it offensive. Huckleberry Finn is on that list. So is Bridge to Terabithia. Bless Me Ultima (a book my daughter says changed her life for the better), The Call of the Wild, Flowers for Algernon, Julie of the Wolves, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret, The Giver...

The list is looooong.

Asking the school libraries not carry any book that might be too mature for some children is akin to asking that we have no school libraries at all. Because EVERY book is too mature for someone! And there's no way the librarian can be expected to know what is appropriate for each child at the school, considering children mature at different levels. And if we're going to remove all the books from the school library, will we have to do the same at the public library? Or should we just not allow children to check out books at all? That would solve the problem.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Lilly Starshine » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

I have no problem with Harry Potter now. At the time I was following the latest Christian fad that Harry Potter was bad. I'm not dissrespecting Christian organizations, I'm just saying that if there is 'something' protest, esp when it come to the kids, many people are gung-ho with there marches and pick-it signs. I was one of them at one point or another and then later I said to myself, "Why was I against this again?" And I loved Bridge to Terabithia. I read it way before it became a movie. And I agree that either all of it should be available or none of it. We as parents have to pay attention to what our kids are reading. The schools provide variety, which they should. It would be very difficult to regulate YA books. Only parents can say what there kids can read or not read. And you can't forget that kids will sneak around and read what they want to. It is easy to hide a paperback.

Previous

Return to Book Discussion