[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
inappropriate school library books : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

inappropriate school library books

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
shadowwalker
Captain

Re: inappropriate school library books

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:20 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:27 am

Last edited by TNE on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm

When I was talking about knowing what your kids are reading, I guess I should have qualified that with the having raised them to be open and communicative. There will always be some things kids don't tell their parents, and there will be things they do out of pure curiosity. But if one has let them know what's appropriate right from the git-go, I don't think anything they do is going to be a problem.

As to cell phones, I frankly don't understand why younger kids have them, period. Especially anything more than a basic cell phone - they can live without the internet. And where are they going that they could possibly need one (ie without adults around)? When they get older - well, see above. ;)

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:22 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 pm

I agree with you, Terry, and I raised my kids much the way you describe, where I tried to be a good example, and also was open with them about the reasons for being the way I am. We didn't shelter them from the hard truths, and I think this made them feel safe in coming to me with their problems. But I did do my best to know what they were up to, because I definitely didn't trust that they'd always make the smart choices. I didn't give them more freedom than they could handle, I didn't have internet in my house until the last one left for college (even though their teachers worked against me by assigning projects that required internet access. I refused to be bullied. ;) ), and I never gave them cell phones with internet access. And guess what--not having everything their friends had never killed them. :mrgreen: I'm sure there were a lot of things my children got into that I never knew about, just like there were secrets I kept from my own parents, but I know my method worked because they all made it to adulthood without any drama, and they seem like responsible adults now.

The thing is, even though parents have no way of knowing everything their children are doing, the responsibility of knowing what the children are doing still lies with the parent. We can't expect the teachers to raise them for us. If you can't keep your child from reading a book you don't approve of, how do you expect anyone else to stop them? You can't ban every book that might be offensive to someone somewhere, or you won't have any books in the schools at all. And the required reading list is handed out to students every year. An involved parent should have no problem getting a copy of that list, and can inform the teacher their child will have to pick another book off the list. (Their have been cases where the child isn't given the choice to pick another book, and is threatened will an F if they refuse to read the assigned book, and yes, that bothers me. If I'd have been faced with an ultimatum like that, I'd have taken the F just on principle.) But as far as books being banned from the school library, there's just no reason for it. If you don't want your kid reading dirty books, just tell them not to read dirty books. If they do it anyway that's on your kid, not the school.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Good point, Terry. I think some parents DO complain about the teaching of evolution in schools though. I guess to me the difference is that if you don't learn about evolution and the basics of biology it could seriously affect your ability to pass college entrance exams and even have real world implications. I mean, even working on the farm would be harder if I didn't have some idea of how plants and animals grow. Or how to fight diseases and stuff.

But I'm not sure having never read The Grapes of Wrath ever hurt anybody. :mrgreen:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion