[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
inappropriate school library books : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

inappropriate school library books

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

inappropriate school library books

Postby Lilly Starshine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:34 pm

My 13 yr old son came home from school yesterday and as I was looking at his homework I found his library book.
Crank by Elen Hopkins. I have not had time to look at this book in depth but What i have read of it, plus what I have looked up on the internet, this is not appropriate reading material for anyone under the age of 17. ALL the content is drug/sex related. It is hard enough to keep our kids away from R-rated movies, adult TV shows, and bad music; now we have to check the books our kids bring home from the school library. Shouldn't the schools be paying attention to what children have access to? Anyone else have this proplem, then post a reply.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: inappropriate school library books

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Knowing what our kids are reading, regardless of where they get the material, is the parents' job. You may not feel a particular book is appropriate for your kid; I might think it's just fine for mine.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Far from being inappropriate, I believe the book is required reading in some high schools, while being banned in others, and deals with issues that apply to a YA audience (it's a YA book). As far as I can tell, it chronicles the effects drug addiction can have on a high school age girl. Yes, it's drug related, because denying drugs exist is not the way to tackle drugs issues among teenagers. It's all well and good to have a "don't do drugs" talk from some well-meaning adult figure, but a book, where you can invest in the characters (based on real-life individuals), probably has a much better effect. Soaps deal with that sort of issue all the time, and they air in slots from 5-7pm, when children get home from school and put on the TV.

If you as a parent feel something like that is inappropriate, it is up to you to say that. The school presumably believe its more than suitable, and I doubt it's in the library by accident, even if there's an age restriction (I'm sorry, but I don't know what age groups US schools operate).
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Ditto what they said. I remember reading drugs & sex books at about that age, such as "Go Ask Alice" and a book about teen pregnancy (I think called "Phoebe"). They may not have been available at the school library (Catholic school), but were certainly available to me at the public library. My parents had no clue what I was reading, however.

Going off on a tangent now, don't be afraid that reading about sex and drugs means your kid will immediately start indulging in these things. The main point of the books I read as a youth, was that drugs are bad, you will end up giving oral gratification at the bus station if you even take a toke. I think that when parents over-react to their kids reading this type of book, it makes them a lot more attractive to the kid. Personally, I've had to do damage control and answer certain questions about sex and puberty the RIGHT way, after a teacher screwed it up badly and left my kid more confused than she was before.

I also recall having to take the role of anti-censorship advocate when my daughter's teacher tried to ban TinTin books from the class, because my kid was shouting out insults in the style of Captain Haddock. I had to explain to the teacher as nicely as possible, that if a kid is shouting out insults, it's the kid's fault, not the fault of a book she's reading.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Any book is inappropriate if the parent says it is, and no good school requires students to read books parents object to. They always offer a substitute. Kids belong to parents, not to the state. If a parent wants a child to read a book, then fine. But if a parent doesn't want a child to read that book, no one anywhere has the right to say that child must read it. That's it, period.

No book has been banned in this country for more than fifty years, but making other children read something, or study it in class, because you want your child to read it and study it is not anti-censorship, it's a dictatorship.

If you can go buy a book, that book has not been banned. If you want your child to read it, you can go buy it and hand it to the child. But what you can't do is set up any system where any child but your own must read it. That's evil.

Every school library in the country decides not to place thousands of books in the school library each and every year. People only fuss about the one that gores their particular ox. This is fine, as long as you don't gore anyone else's ox in an effort to save your own.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:19 pm

The way I understood it, Lily wasn't saying Crank was required reading, just that it's available in the school's library. Totally different things, imo.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:51 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 am

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher was put on the list of recommended books for ninth graders at North Gwinnett High School in Georgia back in 2010. My brother and sister read it and hated it because of its content. And they joke about 'Thirteen Reasons Why You Shouldn't' read this book.

This book should definitely be banned from recommended 9th grade high school reading lists. The book deals with a sensitive topic and shouldn't be a welcome back to school read.

(Retracted comment.)

But I agree that there should be books that high schoolers should read. Subjects dealing with the Holocaust are another example of sensitive topics that should be read at a more mature age.
I really hated it when the teach will always ask, "Is anyone in here Jewish?"

It's absolutely inappropriate and singles students out as if they have to wear the Star of David on their jacket. It's like reliving the past but just a parallel of deja-vu in modern times. And the students might have obnoxious friends who just love to point and answer that question as if they name one in the class then they pass with flying colors.

Once the teachers know, the news spreads like wildfire throughout the school.
It's very disturbing that the teachers are the instigators of this. And at times seem to encourage this question whenever books or subjects retaining to the Holocaust pop up.
Last edited by TNE on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Book Discussion