[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Life of Pi : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Life of Pi

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
mfarraday
Lieutenant

Life of Pi

Postby mfarraday » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I read this recently and loved it. Any other fans? Haven' t seen the movie yet...I thought the writing was sublime. I loved hearing about all the zoo animals and their logic/reasoning.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: Life of Pi

Postby LMGilbert » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I read it several years ago, and plan to re-read it before seeing the film. It's an amazing story by a very talented Canadian author!

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh, I loved it. I'm always leery when there's so much buzz surrounding a book, but Life of Pi lived up to the hype, imo. And, omg, the end! It was brilliant! Any book that leaves me thinking about it weeks/months/years after 'the end', has a secure spot on my favorites list, and this one is definitely up there. Books this good you just gotta talk about, which I'm sure is why Life of Pi has reached so many people.

I plan to see the movie, but really wondering how well it'll translate in film.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Received Life of Pi just yesterday. I bought it for my eldest grandson but I'm going to read it myself first. From everyone's comments, it looks as if I'm in for a good read.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 pm

I read LIFE OF PI some years ago, and loved it. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, which I have heard is excellent.
[imge=3509-3]

tinachris
Private E-1

Postby tinachris » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:30 pm

I read this book many years ago just before visiting a friend in Saskatchewan, Canada, where Yann Martel is the writer in residence at the University. He is French Canadian, born in Spain and has travelled and lived in many countries, including India. To all those who are reading or have read this great book (a book about faith) - see the movie after the book.

tinachris
Private E-1

Postby tinachris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm

:oops: A geography lesson for those who know their Canada and are not mis-typers like this Canadian:
Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan which is in Canada. Saskatooners are proud to have Yann Martel resident in their town and province.

Return to Book Discussion