Hardball by Sara Paretsky

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Dostxbook
Captain

Hardball by Sara Paretsky

Postby Dostxbook » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Stopped by BN in Austin a few weeks back and picked up this book as a discounted item. I have never read any of Paretsky's work before, and I am greatly pleased that I purchased this book. The beginning took me for a slight head spin as Paretsky used a film technique, starting in the present and then jumping back several weeks in the timeline before using more than half the book to bring the reader up the present again. Not a problem, except the jump felt more like a small flashback at first and left me wondering why she didn't use a more significant break to indicate the jump in the structure. Still, the rest of the story has been incredible, with several plot twists and a great character in her lead, V.I. Warshawski. I will definitely seek out more books by Paretski in the future.
Stephen Book

pls
Site Admin

Re: Hardball by Sara Paretsky

Postby pls » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Paretsky is a near-local, having spent some time in the next town down the road, Lawrence, KS, and I'd read only one of her V. I. Warshavski novels, so I decided to try "Bleeding Kansas" by her.

Couldn't make it into the second chapter. Back to the detective series for me. Sorry, Sara.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Return to Book Discussion