Edith Wharton - Ethan Frome and The Age of Innocence

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Shaka
Captain

Postby Shaka » Mon May 14, 2007 3:31 pm

Shaka
Captain

Postby Shaka » Mon May 14, 2007 3:31 pm

As part of my plan to familiarize myself with American literature, I read Ethan Frome one night last week, picked because it was slim and time was short. Wow. A powerful and tragic, I was left after the last page with that "Phew, what a story." feeling.

Inspired by Ms Wharton I then opened The Age of Innocence, picked because it was a Pulitzer prize winner by the same author. I'm not sure if it's me and my expectations were raised too high by the Ethan Frome, or if the story is simply not intrinsically powerful enough or if the telling is just not up to the standard set, but having struggled to the half way mark, I'm only just starting to get into the story. The writing is good, the concept is powerful considering the age in which it is set, but I'm still waiting for it to reach out and grab me.

Anyone else been there?

catgirl54
Private E-2

RE: Edith Wharton - Ethan Frome and The Age of Innocence

Postby catgirl54 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:53 am

I agree - "Ethan Frome" is one of my all-time favorites. I liked "The Age of Innocence" much better as a movie.

"Ethan Frome" was a terrific movie, too, though -- Liam Neeson as Ethan and Patricia Arquette in the female role. They did a terrific job.

Shaka
Captain

Postby Shaka » Wed May 16, 2007 4:22 pm

I've not seen the movies. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu May 17, 2007 9:50 am

I think Age of Innocence is a very good book, but it is a book that draws the reader in slowly, and the second half is better than the first.

Shaka
Captain

Postby Shaka » Wed May 23, 2007 5:07 am

Finally, finished The Age of Innocence at 2am this morning. You're right james, the second part is better than the first. It takes you all the way to the end and leaves you sitting there thinking. I'm glad I stuck it out.

Return to Book Discussion