Police procedurals set in contemporary Vienna?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
wdarcy
Major

Police procedurals set in contemporary Vienna?

Postby wdarcy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:34 pm

I am looking for police procedurals set in present-day Vienna--something comparable to Ian Rankin's Rebus novels (Edinburgh) or David Hewson's Nic Costa novels (Rome). But search as I may, I can't seem to find any. Sure, there are plenty of historical novels, or detective novels set around the turn of the century that bring in Freud or place Gustav Mahler in grave danger, or some such nonsense, or ones set during or after WWII that link in some way to the Holocaust, but that is not what I'm after. If anyone here can help, I would be greatly obliged (we plan to return to Vienna next summer, and I'm considering setting my next novel there).

Oh, I did find one set in a retirement home in the Vienna Woods, but the writing style didn't look too promising. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Return to Book Discussion