[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Have you ever hated a classic? : Book Discussion • Page 10 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Have you ever hated a classic?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Maluswold
Private E-1

Re: Have you ever hated a classic?

Postby Maluswold » Fri May 30, 2014 4:35 pm

I hate everything by Jane Austen. I've never told anyone before.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:07 pm

shannan94
Private E-1

Postby shannan94 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:57 pm

I loved The Hours by Michael Cunningham so I thought I'd read Mrs. Dalloway. I don't think I got past the first page.

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 am

I read Arthur Miller in High School. I think it was Death of a Salesman that described the characaters (boring) life in such excrutiatingly boring detail that I'm not sure why the entire class didn't do a lemming dive out of the 2nd floor windows, I realize that was likely part of his genius but for an active kid it felt like huge swaths of my neural forest burned out.

carrie99
Private E-1

Postby carrie99 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Yes, I agree that these "great books" are difficult. But as we get older I think we understand them a little better; or maybe
we understand why the author wrote it?

I have a tough time with Fitzgerald, very depressing to watch wealthy people dither their
lives away just because they can. And Joyce too, is extraordinarily difficult reading. But after I finish
the book I am reading now--Joyce Carol Oates--(Middle Age: A Romance) I think I will try Joyce again. (James Joyce)

BTW, I have a like/dislike with Joyce Carol Oates too. I like this current one.
Carrie

4luvofwriting
Private E-2

Postby 4luvofwriting » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:15 am

Gene Bathurst
Private E-1

Postby Gene Bathurst » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:17 am

"A classic is a book everyone wants to have read, but no one wants to read." -- Mark Twain

I feel like that about Brother's Karamazov. There are great parts to it, but I find it an enormous slog to get through.

In school they made us read Margaret Lawrence's The Diviners. Let's just say I found it a downer.

I struggled reading Shakespeare, but I think I'm better for it.

Gene

margielynn
Private E-1

Postby margielynn » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:54 pm

I didn't like The Great Gatsby in high school, and didn't like it any better last year when I reread it. It just seemed too shallow . . . maybe that was the point.

Lesley Vos
Private E-1

Postby Lesley Vos » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:08 am

Yeap... Dostoyevsky for example :evil:

George2
Private E-2

Postby George2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Joyce has been hailed as a genus and Ulysses as one of the great (modernist) novels. I tried slogging through
this work -- the episodes all taking place on one day in Dublin -- with his writing about even the smallest activities
of Leopold Bloom and others. So much for my appreciating stream-of-consciousness as I often found it slow moving
and difficult reading and never finished reading it.
IMO I believe voiced praise in the naming of many other works said to be classics is a way of being political correct.
Doh, to take an opposite view supposedly means one is low brow (hmm, like me).
G
(Added) I went over TIME's Ten Greatest Novels of All Time today. Ugh!

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion