[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Have you ever hated a classic? : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Have you ever hated a classic?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
drbertholdt
Lieutenant

Have you ever hated a classic?

Postby drbertholdt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 am

I hate Ulysses.
The first time I read it, when I was a teenager, I didn't even understand it. In college, I took a class that was devoted almost entirely to it. I thought that would make me like it (I've never really hated an assigned reading). I was wrong. It's not that I can't appreciate the skill and thought that went into it; Joyce was clearly a genius, and there's no denying that Ulysses was a grand accomplishment. That said, I still hate it. I feel kind of guilty about it, but there it is.
Have you ever truly detested a book that's regarded as one of the greatest books of all time?
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

updog
General of the Army

Re: Have you ever hated a classic?

Postby updog » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:57 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

drbertholdt
Lieutenant

Postby drbertholdt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm so glad it's not just me! :)
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Classics are no different from any other book in that respect - some people will like one while other people hate it. Purely a matter of personal taste/preference.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

drbertholdt
Lieutenant

Postby drbertholdt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:46 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:46 am

If a genius is someone who writes so poorly, and with such gibberish, that the average person isn't interested, and even forty percent of those who voted the book as best of the twentieth century later admit to not finishing the book, then, yes, Joyce was a genius.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:48 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Trovian
Private E-1

Postby Trovian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:26 am

Great Expectations.. We had to read this in year 10 for an English Literature assignment. I could never get into it, so ended up just reading summaries online. Technically cheating, but oh well.

English assignments used to spoil books for me, with the teachers always attempting to find some hidden meanings in the words that I'm sure even the authors themselves never thought about. Over analysing books tends to take away the magic for me.
Currently Working On: 'So Far Lost'

Twitter: @DannyLewis_x

drbertholdt
Lieutenant

Postby drbertholdt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:25 am

Next

Return to Book Discussion