Randy Alcorn anyone?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
KeithMN
Lieutenant

Randy Alcorn anyone?

Postby KeithMN » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:33 am

KeithMN
Lieutenant

Randy Alcorn anyone?

Postby KeithMN » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:33 am

I just finished reading Edge of Eternity and thoroughly enjoyed it.  He's a prolific writer of Christian books, fiction and nonfiction.  Has anyone read the above (or any of his) work?

Dostxbook
Captain

RE: Randy Alcorn anyone?

Postby Dostxbook » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:45 pm

I wish I could share your thoughts on Edge of Eternity.  My wife gave this one to me for Christmas, and I struggled through about a hundred pages before I finally put it down.  It felt like an allegory with some deep spiritual implications, but it just didn't sustain my interest.  There are other Alcorn books, though, I might be willing to try when the time is right.  I'm not willing to let this one tarnish my thoughts about Alcorn as a whole.

BTW, I just posted a response to the thread on Thr3e by Ted Dekker.  Just like my comments on Alcorn, I gave Dekker another try in spite of the work done on House with Frank Peretti.   In case you haven't read Thr3e yet, I highly recommend it.

KeithMN
Lieutenant

RE: Randy Alcorn anyone?

Postby KeithMN » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:59 am

Edge of Eternity only happened because his publishers wanted him to try something in the fantasy genre.  I understand completely why you put the book down when you did.  It's difficult to get into because nothing seems to make sense or get explained.  I almost gave up on it about the same time you did.  I didn't have any other fiction books around so I persevered and I'm so glad I did.  It really is worth it.  You're right in that it's allegorical.  The last third of the book made struggling with the first part of it worthwhile. 

I saw your post on Thr3e.  I didn't read the book but I saw the movie.  The reason I didn't read it is because Ted and Frank are too intense for me.  I read House and had to stop several times and come back to it in half-an-hour.  Call me a wimp (and I like scary movies) but these guys make me forget to breathe.  (People in deep peril cause my compassion to go into overdrive.)  I couldn't wait for it to end.  It's me, though, not the book.  Although I couldn't picture the rooms in the basement because it was so confusing.  That bugged me.

It's the same with King and Koontz.  King is way too graphic in every sense for me.  I don't dislike him though.  I have a lot of respect for him and thought he deserved the award (can't remember which) he got that others protested he didn't deserve. 

My favorite Koontz book was Lightning.

Return to Book Discussion