More Stephen King- "From a Buick 8"

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Emichaels
Private First Class

Postby Emichaels » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:26 am

Emichaels
Private First Class

Postby Emichaels » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:26 am

I'm about 200 pages into this, and I'm really getting hooked. I may as well share my 2 cents on the book.

Despite some less-than-wonderful reviews on it, I find it (especially at certain points) fascinating. Not a haunted house, not a haunted castle, a haunted CAR. Wow. I didn't get the "hair standing up on the back of your neck" feeling from Lisey's story, but when I read the "Buick giving birth" part I couldn't help but shiver. It has an interesting format, too, the whole Past-then-present-then-past-again method. No chapters? Interesting.

Stephen King never fails to dazzle me with his ideas.

Gooblink
Major General

RE: More Stephen King- "From a Buick 8"

Postby Gooblink » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:03 am

I read this book last year, right after I'd read "Bag of Bones." 

I didn't think it was that great, honestly.  Conceptually, it was fun and full of possibilities, I just felt he fell short of delivering a satisfying story.

Let us know when you finish - I've more opinion on it, but I don't want to spoil the ending for you.

Susan
General

Postby Susan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:37 am

I read this a few months back. I liked it. 

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat May 05, 2007 11:47 am

I thought it was a great book.  Most of the bad press came about because many thought it was a retelling of Christine, another King book about a haunted car.  A case of going to the well once too often.

Emichaels
Private First Class

Postby Emichaels » Thu May 10, 2007 4:40 am

Okay, so I just finished From a Buick 8. It was... interesting. I didn't really start getting into it until much later on in the story, and the lack of real CHAPTERS bothered me a bit, but the story was promising, and that's what matters.

Overall, not too shabby.

Susan
General

Postby Susan » Thu May 10, 2007 5:51 am

One thing I like about King's books is that he seems to take chances with every single one. He always adds some surprises, does things differently each time. Buick 8 was great- I like how the chapters were divided into character viewpoints in telling a continuous story.

QweeNBee
Private E-1

Postby QweeNBee » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:48 pm

I thought this one was too long and it rambled along too much....I really do believe he outdid himself with The Stand and the Green Mile...but his horror/science fix stories are rather tiresome..to me. I used to be an avid Stevie King and gobbled up everything he wrote, but I dont even look for him anymore. I really think he is burned out. Also..Stevie, PLEASE dont write with Peter Straub again...

Actually I know he is a somewhat typecast horror writer, but he is also very funny. I really would read some humor by him. I enjoyed his On Writing. I loved it.

I know I know...everyone has an opinion......and they all stink.

camper
Lieutenant

Postby camper » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:06 am

I didn't think it was bad, but not one I would reread. 

I equate my experience to it with wanting Wendys, but ending up with McDonalds.

Still, much more enjoyable than "Insomnia".   I hated that book so much.  Worst - book - (of his) - ever.

dan

Return to Book Discussion