[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Thre3 by Ted Dekker : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Thre3 by Ted Dekker

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Arwen9
President of the World

Thre3 by Ted Dekker

Postby Arwen9 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:24 am

Arwen9
President of the World

Thre3 by Ted Dekker

Postby Arwen9 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:24 am

Ok, I've just finished my 3rd read through of this book, and it's rapidly becoming a favorite. (Though it can never beat LOR) It's both a thriller and a mystery. Without giving it away, :) there is a young seminary student who is called by a "madman" or something who gives him a riddle. If he solves the riddle, fine. But if he doesn't, a bomb goes off somewhere. What falls but never breaks? What breaks but never falls? That's one of the riddles.

It's wild, and the ending is even better. I couldn't figure it out, had to reread the last chapter again. Skin just came out too, and it's just as good.

my7kids2fun4me
Private E-2

RE: Thre3 by Ted Dekker

Postby my7kids2fun4me » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:11 pm

I'm glad you mentioned this book. I read it a couple of months ago. You know the movie is coming out in 2 days? Having read the book, I think the movie could be pretty tricky to film, but should be interesting. Again, not wanting to give the plot away. So tell me, did you have a suspicion about who Slater was part way through the book? I did, and was certain I was right up to the dying end (when I discovered I was wrong). Then I was sort-of mad because I thought it was a set-up by the author. But I agree, the book was good and had a clever ending.

Meanwhile, you could get me really talking about Dekker. I read "Showdown" first which I had mixed feelings about. If you've read it and want to discuss it, I'll tell you my take of that book. I have also read Dekker's "House" and was very disappointed. And started reading "Saint" which got my heart pounding in the first chapter, but quickly fizzled, so I quit after about the 4th chapter because I got bored.

So tell me more about what you liked about Thr3e or other Dekker books.

---jen

Dostxbook
Captain

Postby Dostxbook » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:02 am

my7kids2fun4me
Private E-2

Postby my7kids2fun4me » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:28 am

Definitely read Thr3e. It is MUCH better than House. Don't judge Dekker by "House." I have also heard that Dekker's earlier stuff with some connection to Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ was also much better.

The problem I had with "House" is I felt nothing for the characters. I could care less if they lived or died because I didn't know enough about them. From the very beginning I didn't know who to trust and who was good and who was bad. I didn't know who I was suppose to be routing for. So as the book went on I wished they'd all explode or get munched so the book would end and I could read something else. LOL!!! Not so with Thr3e. You do feel empathy for certain characters, and really, I felt Thr3e was very clever. Do read it. Meanwhile, "Showdown" was intriguing, but as soon as you realize what is going on, you can pretty much write the end yourself. That's my take on Dekkerr.

Arwen9
President of the World

Postby Arwen9 » Fri May 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Yeah! Other people have read Ted Dekker's books! I can't get anyone in my writer's group to touch it.

Ooh, House, I hated that one. I think it's one of his older ones. I didn't care much for Showdown either, nor Obsessed, but most of his other ones are really good. Showdown was too confusing. What did you think of it?

Thre3 is great! I think I've said that, and yes, I'm curious how they're going to film that. Who knows? I had no idea who Slater was until the end. I just knew it was this one, and then poof! no it's not.

I went out on April 3 and bought Skin. It feels predicatable at first, but it doesn't end that way. Hmm, Bill Bright, that would be Blessed Child and Man Called Blessed, right? Couldn't get into that one at all. Oh, if you guys likes Thre3, try Blink. That's a good one too.

My second fav, (second only to Thre3) is the Circle Trilogy. Black, Red, White. I didn't like the parts with Thomas in the real world, but I loved the rest of it. Of course, I like allegorical type stuff so that might be the reason. Oops, sorry about the long post. Hey, did you guys know he has a website now, with a forum, newsletter and everything?    www.teddekker.com Ok, I'll shut up now. :)

Liz

writer71
Private E-1

Postby writer71 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:07 am

I am a huge Peretti fan and now am becoming a huge Dekker fan. I had read House by Peretti & Dekker and I just finished 'Skin'. I would recommend both books. True, 'Skin' did not turn out like I thought it would. Great writers, both of them.

Dostxbook
Captain

Postby Dostxbook » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Okay, I finally read this one, and I admit I was hooked from the beginning.

About halfway through, I started to catch on to what was happening.  I didn't want to believe it, but I couldn't deny it given some of the character actions involved.  All the same, I enjoyed the novel and truly appreciated Dekker's Christian World View, as expressed by the characters throughout the story. 

Mr. Dekker sounds like a true "Holiness" Christian who doesn't hold any punches when it comes to the issue of the sinful nature.

my7kids2fun4me
Private E-2

Postby my7kids2fun4me » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 pm

And I just watched the movie "Thr3e" this weekend and was not disappointed. I wasn't sure how I'd like it after reading the book, but it was well done. I recommend both the movie and the book.

---jen

JABarnes
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby JABarnes » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:22 am

The Thr3e movie was very awesome saw it in the theatre twice and bought it as soon as it came out on DVD. I would recommend the book to all who love suspense. Dekker doles out the thrills and mystery like its going out of style.

I am currently reading Monster by Frank Peretti This is a good book as well, holds true with the Peretti style. I have Skin by Ted Dekker waiting in the wings to read as soon as I finish Monster

Next

Return to Book Discussion