Inkheart

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
knorthcott
Private E-2

Inkheart

Postby knorthcott » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:35 pm

knorthcott
Private E-2

Inkheart

Postby knorthcott » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:35 pm

This is a great piece in the tradiotion of "A wrinkle in time" vs. "Eragon" I highly recommend it!

looneywriter
General of the Army

RE: Inkheart

Postby looneywriter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:31 pm

Inkheart? Is that Braveheart's literature loving cousin?

knorthcott
Private E-2

Postby knorthcott » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:23 pm

I wish!

No it is a YA book (Which I don't normally prefer) but this one caught my eye. It is about this man who can read characters and objects out of the books he is reading.

One minute he is reading aloud, then POOF! one of the characters is standing in his livingroom.

But the catch is this, for everything that comes out, someone or something must go into the book.

There's your basic premise, and after his wife disappears, you can only imagine how ofter he tries to read her out again....

Lauren
Master Sergeant

Postby Lauren » Sat May 05, 2007 8:45 pm

This is actually a really good book.  My grandmother randomly gave it to me and said read so I did.  I got halfway through and lost it.  It has been refound, but I'll have to re read it.

Nocdar
Lieutenant

Postby Nocdar » Mon May 07, 2007 4:46 am

Inkheart will be a story that lives much longer than the author. I think it is that good, and consider it a 'must read'.

Silviar
Sergeant Major

Postby Silviar » Tue May 08, 2007 4:54 am

I really liked Inkheart. It was quite good. However, I was surprised by how much it dragged in the middle. I kept reading because I wanted to see the ending, but I think the middle could have been stepped up a tad.

The second one I know is out - I gotta pick it up and read it.

knorthcott
Private E-2

Postby knorthcott » Mon May 14, 2007 6:24 pm

Yes, I must admit, the middle took me forever to get through. It kept going and going. I usually read a book in 2-3 days if I like it. Inkheart (though it kept my interest) took me close to 2 weeks.

I heard they are making a movie of it now. They must be planning on putting both books together because I can't see how the first book could keep an audience for 2 hours.

Vermilion...
Private E-2

Postby Vermilion... » Tue May 15, 2007 6:43 pm

My sister read Inkheart before me. I was at first repulsed by what I consider to be a very garish and girly cover, (glowing fairies and tiny furry magical creatures crawling all about) so I didn't read it for a while. But when I read the first few pages I was hooked! It turned out to be one of the best books I had read in a long time, a real gem. The concept alone is very original, but the author puts a lot in the book to digest so it's good for a reread and just to talk about. It was one of those few books that made me want to lie down all day reading until i was finished. I never took it to school though, i was embarrassed by the cover. I mean it'd be cool if it had a pitch black heart that's enveloped in flames on the cover or something, but i guess it's aimed toward the younglings, even though for younger kids it is rather long...

By the way the sequel Inkspell is out and i finished that one too in a couple of days, and i thought it was just as good. It is a good continuation of Inkheart, same style and length and everything, and also a lot more eventful. I recommend both of them.

Writer in Christ
Lieutenant

Postby Writer in Christ » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:05 pm

they are making a movie out of it, so excited!

i loved this book, and really loved the cover too. but i guess thats cuz im a girl, and the fairies and sparkly things made me go "ooo!" but cornelia funke is awesome, her other stuff is great too, like thief lord and...oh theres another one, cant remember the title right now. its all aimed for younger audiences, but still good!

God bless, sara

Next

Return to Book Discussion