[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Running With Scissors : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Running With Scissors

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
jmar2
Major General

Running With Scissors

Postby jmar2 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:58 am

In a attempt to staunch the blood flow emanating from the poetry forum, here are some words that will probably have no impact whatsoever.

I know actors have thin skins, writers should not. If we allow our work to exist solely as a result of outside opinion, it’s time to stop writing.

If we find our senses abused by the rawness of posted work, it’s time to stop reading.

Imagine if you will, a young lady from another time. She sits quietly, quill in hand. As each thought forms, she dips the point into the ink and applies her soul to the paper.

“Let’s see, shall I start by introducing myself to my lover?” she thought. “Yes. Let me get that line down.”

How do?

“Now what? Hmmm. Let’s tell milord I love him. Yes, that’s good.”

I love thee.

“Great! How about an image of myself on bended knee, supplicating for his love.”

Let me.

“Oh, this is good. Now he turns away, the cad. I rise and stomp my slipper, demanding he see my affection in its glory.”

Count the ways.

Poor Liz. If she’d entered that onto our good forum, imagine the response. Fortunately, she had an editor who fixed the punctuation.

“I beg your pardon? What absurdity? Is this not similar to the current issues floating in that vat of vitriol known as ‘poetry’? Silliness? Of course it is. So is the current poetry war.”

Kids, there are sharp words flying along the internet. My mom always told not to run with scissors. Will and I were having a flagon and he told me, ‘Cut others, do you not bleed.’

Folks, the world ain’t perfect! If the posted words offend thee, say so. Then, please. Get over it. There is little time in life for crusades. I know poets are wired a little differently, but pro or con, it’s not breast cancer. It’s not world hunger. It doesn’t even have a good tune to dance to.

Please, pretty, pretty, pretty please. Enjoy this life. It’s the only one you got. If you really want to tell someone why their work displeases you, write to your congressman, any congressman. Write to the President. Write to Katie Couric. Hell, write to me.

Oh never mind, you’re poets. What’s the point. You guys have been fighting each other for every foot and meter of wall space since Zog drew the first cave deer.

John

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Running With Scissors

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:04 am

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:09 am

And you were worried about losing your sense of humor?

Thanks for letting some much needed sunshine into the cave.

John

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:00 am

I'm not sure I understand.  In fact, I'm probably lost beyond hope.  But are you saying we shouldn't criticize teh work of other writers, shouldn't tell them why we thinks it's bad or wrong?

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:06 am

Naw, critique away. What I noticed happening, was that the critiquers were beginning to critique the critiques, I was just suggesting they take the critique as they wish, then get back to writing, instead of degrading down into the dog fight of "How can you say I can't write..."

But then again, they are poets and passionate. It is asking a lot, sort of like asking me to accept the fact that G.W. is President whether I like it or not.

John

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:10 am

wildstrawberries
Sergeant Major

Running With Scissors

Postby wildstrawberries » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:14 pm

wildstrawberries
Sergeant Major

Running With Scissors

Postby wildstrawberries » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:14 pm

I know this book has been out for awhile, and has just been made into a movie, but has anyone here read "Running With Scissors" by Augsuten Burroughs? Holy crap was it good! I have very few friends who read as much as I do, so they are bored when I talk about the books I've read, including this one. I'm secretly afraid to watch the movie because the book was absolutely amazing, and the movie may disappoint me. It can't possibly be as good as the book. There were many times I blinked out of disbelief while reading it. And the best part is that it's a memoir; it's true stuff! It takes a certain type of humor to find it hilarious, but I think anyone who reads it would find it compelling. I've read "Magical Thinking" and am in the middle of "Dry" by the same author. If anyone hasn't read "Runnng With Scissors,
my advice is...DON'T DELAY!!! It is so good!

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:23 am

Is this one of those love/hate books?  When my book club chose to read it last year, I consulted reviews first.  I was so revolted by the descriptions that I didn't even look at a copy of the book.  Our leader assures me that I missed a lot of humor.  "That may be," I replied, "but I didn't want to have to wade through the rest of the mess."  As I recall, she was the only club member enthusiastic about the book.

Apparently the movie was a dud.

Wildstrawberries, what do you find "compelling" about such a dysfunctional group?

Why is it so great that it is a memoir?  All dysfunctional families are filled with wild, crazy and bizarre events.

wildstrawberries
Sergeant Major

Postby wildstrawberries » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:21 pm

I found the story of his life to be incredibly interesting...and the fact that it's about true survival is why it is so great that it is a memoir. The way that he found humor in such horrific circumstances and was able to write about his own life with such candor, makes me respect him immensely as a human being and as a writer. Dyfunctional, yes. Revolting, at times. But also humanizing and hilarious. I think the book focuses more on mental illness than just general dysfunction. Remarkably compelling...I couldn't put it down. If a book can make me laugh and really think and/or see things in a different way, I find it absolutely fantastic. I think we learn from each other's experiences. We gain depth and insight. We become less judgemental.

Mental illness and family dysfunction is far more common than people think; it's just that not everyone is open about it the way Augusten Burroughs is. He didn't chose the way he was brought up, but he chose the way he turned out as an adult, and the fact that he shared his embarrassing past with the whole world in writing, makes him not only a survivor, but a painter of words and wit. What he writes in his memoirs, I'm assuming takes a ton of courage and humility.

Movies are hardly ever as good as the books. I can't imagine the movie even being comparable to reading it.

Next

Return to Book Discussion