[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
An Interesting Debate on a Great Book : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

An Interesting Debate on a Great Book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
TheRazor
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TheRazor » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 pm

TheRazor
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TheRazor » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 pm

My friend, Namik. The reason why I introduced Adam and Eve into the conversation was to demonstrate that two well known books have inconsistencies in them but the message behind both is still intact. Of course Jesus and Magdalene weren’t brother and sister but if you took the story of Adam and Eve literally than they would be.

You say that the Bible condemns any who changes a comma or word from the bible. Just in America the Bible has been revised first in 1816, 1827 (changing the word Baptizein to Immersion), 1830, 1835, 1836 (changed immerse/immersion), 1838 and so on until 1973. Now logically speaking if the Bible hadn’t wanted even a comma removed or changed, than it could never be translated.

I don’t care for Patterson but his philosophy on Freedom does not hinge on Oedipus’ brother in law. His message is that slaves are the only ones to know freedom, translated: you don’t know what you got until you lose it, and breaking it down further: we take things for granted.

Who cares that this guy won an award? It’s a trophy. Read the book and move on to another. There’s way to many books to get through in one lifetime.

I can not comment on Mr. Pone’s book because I have not read it.

There are some things I agree with Freud on and some I think our unsound. I haven’t read much about his theories on freedom, so I withhold comment.

So, let’s discuss the term freedom. Is it a state of being, where an individual can make up any choice, he or she wants? But if this is the case, then in some instances that choice infringes onto another, taking their freedom away. If this is so, than there has to be limitations to freedom. Creating laws. You have the right to choose, but it can’t infringe on others. If there are rules than there isn’t an absolute freedom.

Another instance that our absolute freedom is erased is in our body's need. We must eat, we must drink and we must sleep. These are the rules that govern our body.

Are we truly free? No. There isn’t an utopia.-DavidG

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: An Interesting Debate on a Great Book

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:48 am

Uh, Adam and Eve would not be brother and sister. This requires two sets of DNA merging to form a third and a fourth DNA set. Eve would be a female clone of Adam. A single DNA set with a Y chromosome changed to an X chromosome. A very different thing.

As for changing a comma in the Bible, the sin is changing meaning in the Bible, not changing punctuation.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:05 am

Wow!  So much for that debate. 

You're right, David.  You cannot have Utopia and freedom, too, especially as long as there are people involved.  :)

And, yes, regarding the Bible, James is correct.  May I add, when you hear people say that they believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, they are talking about the original manuscript.  We have no original manuscripts so we must accept that there are going to be mistranslations in any copy of the Bible we have today.

Having said that, the message and intent of the Bible has been quite consistent throughout the ages.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:39 am

~Robert~
Private E-1

Postby ~Robert~ » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:42 am

Dear DavidG,

I posted again a short introduction and two excerpts from the novel "The Rose's Tears". I'd be very much pleased, if you could throw two or three lines about my posting.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Rob

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:36 am

TheRazor
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TheRazor » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:47 pm

It is true that the only place of true freedom is within but that also creates a self imposed prison.   If you can’t externalize those ideas than it is only freedom in a box.-DavidG

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:03 am

Return to Book Discussion