Introducting Myself

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
consciousdreams
Private E-1

Introducting Myself

Postby consciousdreams » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi,

My name is Daniella Blechner and I am happy to say I am now a published author. I published my book, Mr Wrong Sept 2014. I haven't yet had the honour of having a baby, but it is the only thing I can imagine coming close to it!

I love writing. I cannot remember a time when I did not. When I was 4, I declared I would be a published author when I retire in my 50s but it happened at 35 and consequently 2 more books followed. My aim is to coach others with powerful and inspiring stories to tell and messages to share, through the self-publishing process.

I look forward to getting to know and speak with many of you here.

Have a great day

Daniella
www.daniellablechner.com

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Introducting Myself

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Kiwi bloke
Private E-1

Re: Introducing Myself

Postby Kiwi bloke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 pm

There have been occasional discussions in this forum about the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I have just now registered and want to criticise his latest one, Make Me, taking the risk of triggering the Spoiler mechanism (I don ‘t see why it should – how can one review otherwise?).
I should add that I read many books and many authors, I am not obsessed by the Jack Reacher phenomenon.
I don’t have a problem with the plot in Make Me, or the characters. It’s a great story in which Child breaks new ground for Reacher, but in my view it lacks plausibility in some key places. All of the Reacher books thus far have scored high on my plausibility scale. I have to wonder whether Lee wrote this one under pressure and took some short-cuts; or, as some are suggesting, is he now writing for the screen and Tom Cruise?
1. Mrs Eleanor Hopkins is portrayed as an articulate, educated lady who, after Reacher has virtually killed a guy outside her apartment door, calmly goes out with Reacher and Chang to a café and has an intelligent discussion with them about the internet and Deep Web. She admits she has called 911 to say there are terrorists in her building, because she didn’t like the look of them (Reacher & Chang).
Incredibly, she then agrees not to tell the cops anything about Reacher/Chang, not even their presence or that she talked to them. So, while the cops are surrounding her place, she arrives back in a hired Town Car and nobody notices? Nobody questions the driver? Really?
2. Later, the pair gatecrash a pre-wedding shower at Dr and Mrs Lair’s place where Reacher shoots dead three intruders as the hosts watch in horror. While their ears are ringing from the shots, Reacher calmly tells Dr to sit tight for 30 mins before he calls the cops, and not to mention they were there, but to take the credit himself for shooting the home invaders. The Dr, incredibly enough, agrees!
3. I also have doubts about whether the journo Westwood would agree to go off alone (without telling his boss) on a cross-country chase with an unknown pair to test an apparently crazy theory, and pay all the hotel bills and air fares with little hesitation, on the strength of book rights if they crack the case.

About me: I'm a retired newspaper journalist in NZ, just started my first piece of fiction. I never thought I'd be able to invent a story and people, but it actually has not been too difficult so far. I'm a keen handyman and DIYer and find I get or develop ideas while working.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Lee doesn't write under pressure and is one of the nicest authors I know. Cruise Productions has only optioned two of the novels, the sequel filming now. He is definitely not writing for Tom Cruise. Now if Cruise wanted to pay millions for Lee to write a novel, well...

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:17 pm

I don't know whether he's writing for the screen and Tom Cruise, or not, but he doesn't write novels under pressure, and as far as I know, has no intention of writing an original screenplay. I liked Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. I'd like to see another movie or two.

I really don't have any plausibility problems with the story. I try to judge plausibility by what that character would do under the same circumstances, and what I would do under the same circumstances. I don't find any of the actions you base your three complaints on implausible. The circumstances, the type of people they are, and the way Reacher handles each situation, makes them all highly plausible, to me.

To one extent or another, I've seen all three happen, and I suspect a lot of writers and journalists would do the third. Do you mean you wouldn't? I majored in Journalism, but only worked at it for a short time. But every journalist I knew would pay Satan's way out of hell, if it meant getting a good story. I sure would. And it definitely beats sitting around being bored, writing obits and city council propaganda.

Return to Book Discussion