[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
recommend me a good sci-fi book : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

recommend me a good sci-fi book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
jannertfol
Private E-1

Re: recommend me a good sci-fi book

Postby jannertfol » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm

You could do worse than Kage Baker's "In the Garden of Iden." Futuristic time travel with a huge twist. Or "The Player of Games" by Iain Banks, set in a far futuristic society called The Culture. One of his first Culture books, and one of his best, in my opinion.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

MatthewTM
Corporal

Postby MatthewTM » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:05 pm

The other day, I listened to a reading of Distance of the Moon by Italo Calvino, from his short story collection Cosmicomics. A beautiful, whimsical piece of science fantasy. I'm definitely going to seek out the full collection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicomics

Here's the reading, if you're interested:

http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab- ... e-of-moon/

Other than that, check out some John Wyndham. I used to love his stuff.

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:57 pm

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zhan takes place right after Return of the Jedi. It's a classic for Star Wars fans and some say is the best thing you can get for an Episode 7.
And Allegiance another Timothy Zhan work which I found really enjoyable because it was nice to see in the mind of a stormtrooper, how they operate and their attitudes regarding to the Empire.

Ceris
Private E-1

Postby Ceris » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Kenneth Oppel's Airborn is pretty awesome, it's fairly light reading. I loved it at the age of 14, and my dad loved it at the age of 45.
If you want something that's a little heavier reading (mindboggling would probably be the term) I recently read (and am pretty sure I enjoyed) Transition by Ian Banks. It's the kind of book that leaves your brain all tangled.

charlescollin
Private E-1

Postby charlescollin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:45 am

There are thousands of books are available at science fiction topic. I think you must go at search engine and find your desire book.... I think this is the best way ..

juanito256
Private E-1

Postby juanito256 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:45 am

I’d like to recommend you one of my favourites, yet not so much well known. One can find buch of stories which will grab u right into the story, and u won't be able to stop reading nor to move out of the bed. Pretty much scary, as well as a little bit erotic, that's what everyone loves, isn't it? :) Oh well, the book is Cozy Chilling Bedtime Stories by Gibey.

Previous

Return to Book Discussion