[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Finished "On Writing", almost exploded. : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Finished "On Writing", almost exploded.

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
kankowitz
Sergeant

Re: Finished

Postby kankowitz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 pm

KarenRankowitz (I am not 'kankowitz'...that's disgusting!)
Joined Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:54 am (new forum format messed this up a bit)

http://montville-ct.patch.com/users/kar ... blog_posts
http://www.excursionzmagazine.com/

screwup2hellwithit
Private E-1

Postby screwup2hellwithit » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:15 am

Really, I don't know that you can call common-sense insightful or instructional. Its a good book. Its a true enough book. It is funny, and inspirational(being the most practical aspect of it). It is not universal. And it is subjective truth so is limited.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:25 pm

screwup2hellwithit
Private E-1

Postby screwup2hellwithit » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 am

Mayhap so. Mayhap not. You say plain. I say plop.

I unintentionally ignore it all and succeed beyond my wildest dreams.

sheila.lillico
Private E-1

Postby sheila.lillico » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I've been a Stephen King fan for many years. I've also been a writer for many years. I bought On Writing shortly after it hit the shelves of Barnes and Noble, quite a while back and its one of the books that I've kept. I bought it not to teach me how to write but to learn about how Stephen King writes, what goes through his head, how he puts his stories together, where he gets his ideas from, how the heck he's written so darn many books in his writing career. Granted I hoped I might learn some tips from such a prolific writer. What I found was a book that I enjoyed reading so much that I have read it through more than once, skimmed it many times and will continue to look through it from time to time in the future. I didn't get a novel feel from it but more of a biographical feel. I find Stephen King to be fascinating. I've read nearly all his books. I've also read some of Tabitha King's work as well as their son who writes under the name of Joe Hill. Their other son writes too, but I havn't read his work and not sure what name he writes under. As far as I know their daughter isn't an author but could be wrong on that, I'm not Stephen's biographer. But as a reader, as a writer, I do enjoy reading the King family's books. On Writing is right up there near the top of the list.

sarrot
Private E-2

Postby sarrot » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 am

Albert Camus' essay "Create Dangerously" is another good insight into writing.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:50 pm

I really need to read this. I've read a few "how to write a book" books in the past couple years, and for some reason was suspicious of them before, but they are definitely helping me a lot!
Previously published writer starting over.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 am

sport
Private E-1

Postby sport » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:53 pm

I loved the scene in their Vermont farm kitchen while he and his wife are waiting to hear about the advance for "Carrie" and he is telling her that it might be (now don't get excited) as much as $40,000 and it turned out to be $400,000.

sport
Private E-1

Postby sport » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 am

My reply to finished almost exploded contained a very bad error. The Kings lived on Maine, not Vermont.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion