[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Finished "On Writing", almost exploded. : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Finished "On Writing", almost exploded.

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
flyinghigh0905
Private E-1

RE: Finished "On Writing", almost exploded.

Postby flyinghigh0905 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:16 am

I had to read that book for a writing class I took in college. I really liked it, too. I thought he had some awesome ideas. And it was cool getting a glimpse into his life and the progression of his writing through his life and struggling with alcohol and drugs.

What was really cool is before I read that, I could never get into King's novels. But after reading "On Writing," I found it much easier to understand his writing style.

It's surely an essential reading for writing.

writindude
Private E-1

Finished "On Writing", almost exploded.

Postby writindude » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Two books sit on the left side of my desk: On Writng and The Elements of Style. On Writing for inspiration and "Style" for tools.

s.c. denton
Corporal

Re: Finished "On Writing", almost exploded.

Postby s.c. denton » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:10 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:38 pm

tammy_:0)
Private E-1

Postby tammy_:0) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:33 pm

I read this book, god, 6 years ago at least. I loved it. I was already a Stephen King fan, but this book was great. It was nice to get the realism of his life along with some important writing tools. I planned on getting the book again from the library, but I think I'll buy it. It's cheap on Amazon and it's essential for your "go to" writing books. I don't have a bad thing to say about this book. I loved every part of it. I highly recomend it.

DBergendorf
Sergeant

Postby DBergendorf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:32 am

Deleted because my computer is on the fritz.

Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Lilly Starshine » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:18 pm

My husband got "On Writing" for me as a birthday present. He get gets me a book on every birthday and Christmas. Anyway, I loved "On Writing". I've read it more than a few times now. (It was because of that book that I went out and bought "Elements of Style".) It was a great book from beginning to end. King understands that we are truly a culmination of our experiences. The memoir was essential for us to understand the real meat of the book, meaning his advise on how he writes, the tools needed to write well, and his opinions on good writers and bad writers. Also knowing how he struggled at the beginning of his career only to become the icon he is today gives us all hope for our potential futures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else watch, "The Stand" on syfy channel? I'm kind of ashamed to say that i never made it the book, but the movie is great. I think that Stephen King does a cameo in all of his movies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah, I love the part of the book ("On Writing") where he talks about his muse. I don't remember it exactly but it made me smile.

readlorey
Private E-1

Postby readlorey » Thu May 19, 2011 12:20 am

That is one of my favorite books on writing. I have read it several times and even have pages marked for referencing anytime I need it. I should read it again. It's a great read anyway.

secretending12
Private E-1

Re: Finished

Postby secretending12 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 am

That book helped understand story writing than most english classes.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Finished

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:25 pm

For King fans who haven't heard, they're working on a four hour miniseries of "Bag of Bones", due to be released later this year.

This is one of my favorite King novels, so I'm looking forward to the miniseries.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion