[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Finished "On Writing", almost exploded. : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Finished "On Writing", almost exploded.

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
margelizard
Private E-1

Postby margelizard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:05 pm

margelizard
Private E-1

Postby margelizard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:05 pm

So, I finished Stephen King's "On Writing" the other day and it was one of the most joyous reads in a long time! I am a huge fan of Stephen King, his books and ideas are so interesting and often crazy, that when I got this book for Christmas, I almost wanted to bypass the turkey.

I imagine that this topic has probably come up before, what with this being a writers website and all, but just in case you have not read this book, I would like to tell you that you're missing out.

Even if you're not a Stephen King fan, what he has to say is worth listening to, especially when he talks about what to include, how much, what to read etc etc. The information he provides is so valuable and well written that when I was reading it, I wanted to throw it down and go write something.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Re: Finished "On Writing", almost exploded.

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:30 am

All true. "On Writing" is one of the two or three best how-to books out there. It's also hilarious in spots. A wonderful book. Think I'll sit down and read it again.

b1_
Private E-1

Postby b1_ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:03 pm

The advice is spot on, but there are some problems with the book. A good portion of it describes Steven King's life, not writing. When he does get to the lessons in writing, it's set out just like a novel, so when you've finished it's a chore finding the salient points a second time around unless you're willing to re-read the whole thing - I would recommend marking with a highlighter the good bits for future reference.

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:24 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:38 am

KevinMc
Private E-2

Postby KevinMc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 pm

I bought it last summer, and I've read it twice now. It's one of the very, very few books on writing that I feel I can wholeheartedly recommend to just about anyone trying this craft. Outstanding "memoir" sections that talk a lot about writing - even while he tells the story of his path. And the technical side is brilliant, cutting to the bone and not pulling punches at all. Great stuff.

gibby2433
Private E-2

Postby gibby2433 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 pm

I think my favorite part was his blunt belief that bad writers can't become good writers; that good writers CAN become very good writers; but very good writers CAN'T become great writers. Or something like that, I'm going strictly by memory here :)

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:35 am

gibby2433
Private E-2

Postby gibby2433 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:05 am

Yes, James, that was it exactly. I forgot he used "competent," not good and very good. My memory is mush :)

Next

Return to Book Discussion