[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What book are you currently reading? : Book Discussion • Page 45 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What book are you currently reading?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Postby DrG2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:53 pm

I just finished reading this book.
The Monkey Wrench Gang, by Edward Abbey. *****. I think this is one of the best-written novels I ever read, in spite of him having brief lapses of present tense in the first 4/5 of the book, and going all present tense during the end of the book, and in spite of me being a "wise use" environmentalist rather than a Anarchist-environmentalist which this book seems to promote. The description is great, he keeps the story moving very well. If I didn't know that Abbey had been a rather extreme environmentalist, I might have believed this was a satire. There's plenty of humor. The characters are definitely fixed in the time frame of the novel (post vietnam), and I took a little umbrage with the treatment of the sole female character at one point, but this is a book I will read multiple times, simply for the descriptions Abbey crafts.

I worked with a couple of people who really loved this book when I did the field work for my Ph.D. I found their description pretty abhorrent, but I'm very glad I read it, these many years later.

TonyVega
Private E-1

Postby TonyVega » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:34 am

now i am reading paulo's brida
It is really a wonderful book but the problem is little difficult to digest in the first reading, i am reading it second time

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:34 am

patriciac
Private E-1

Postby patriciac » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Currently i am not reading any book but last time i have read a indian writers book, half girl friend.Its short but good story to read. All about love in fact

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:37 pm

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. Excellent!
Gerald's Game, by Stephen King. Not one of his better stories. I was interested in how she'd get out of her predicament, & once she got one of the handcuffs off, there wasn't anything else to hold my attention. He should have wrapped it up much more quickly after that.

leonid27081992
Private E-1

Postby leonid27081992 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 am

Hello! Recently I have read all Michel Bulgakov novels. I like this ouystanding writer, and plan to read "Master and Margaryte" Now I am reading Ivan Turgenev novels and I also enjoy them.

I removed your signature. Writing essays for students is cheating and will not be tolerated on a writing website. If you want to be a member of this forum remove the website from your profile as well. And read the FAQs. MOD-Terry

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 am

Generation Dead was great, now I'm part-way through Half Bad, & loving it. But, totally distracted now by the funniest, most enjoyable book I've read in ages: How To Build A Girl, by Caitlin Moran. Completely irreverent, wild, funny & true fiction!

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Just finished Elantris and Words of Radiance back to back - both by Brandon Sanderson. Awesome writer. There always seems to be so much going on that it leaves my writing looking like a dinner of a stale pretzel and an onion slice - sitting besides his full course and glorious meal.

I also started reading "The City" by Dean Koontz yesterday. He remains one of my favorite all time writers. There is a bit of magic in this latest book and some deep insight into the human heart. There is also what I'd call, in my admittedly unlettered and unsophisticated way, literary prose - or prose that at least dances in my mind in ways similar to the works of authors considered literary writers. Dean has always been a special favorite of mine, with a corner all to himself. He seems to be a little 'outside the stream' to me. Even when there is some tiny bit that I might not love, I find his work to be truly extraordinary and bordering in places on the sublime.

Oleg Hasanov
Private E-1

Postby Oleg Hasanov » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm currently reading the novel "A Single Girl's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse" by J.T. Clay.
What don't kill you make you more strong.

chriswhite1407
Private E-1

Postby chriswhite1407 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Books must be one of the components of the rest does not matter what genre of these books , the main thing that they have a moral and a man unable to make the necessary truth for yourself! Now I am reading "The Prince and the Pauper" by Mark Twain

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion