What book are you currently reading?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
tdkerst
Private First Class

RE: What book are you currently reading?

Postby tdkerst » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm also re-reading William Gibson's autobiography A Mass for the Dead. One of the best I've every read.

tdkerst
Private First Class

Postby tdkerst » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:46 pm

A really good book to complement The Elements of Style is William Zinsser's On Writing Well. Very readable and very helpful. One of the best.

Lexi
Commander in Chief

Postby Lexi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:05 pm

7th Son: Descent by J.C. Hutchins (sci-fi thriller)

BDG91
Private E-1

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Postby BDG91 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson, any book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen is amazing to behold. If you like fantasy it is one of the best series out there, even if don't I still recommend it.

Twix
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Twix » Sat May 22, 2010 5:43 pm

The Palace Thief by Ethan Canin It's a collection of four short stories. The movie The Emperor's Club with Kevin Kline which came out several years ago is based on one of the stories.

writer88J
Private E-1

Postby writer88J » Sun May 23, 2010 6:10 pm

I am near the end of The Marriage of Josephine by Marjorie Coryn. It is an out-of-print historical novel by someone that can put words together like music. A sample: "The solid world had returned to its beginnings. A cloudy nebula, and he himself was only a consciousness at its heart. There was nothing but mist, blinding, choking, annihilating. It rose sourly from the putrefaction of long-drowned land--it lay sluggish over the stagnation of rotting water--it dribbled sullenly from the powder-fouled muzzles of impotent guns. It oozed up darkly from the sweat-quenched fires of energy, bitter with the taint of exhaustion."

Not the type of thing we are encouraged to write this days, with readers seeking to bounce from one thrill to the next.

writer88J
Private E-1

Postby writer88J » Sun May 23, 2010 6:10 pm

I am near the end of The Marriage of Josephine by Marjorie Coryn. It is an out-of-print historical novel by someone that can put words together like music. A sample: "The solid world had returned to its beginnings. A cloudy nebula, and he himself was only a consciousness at its heart. There was nothing but mist, blinding, choking, annihilating. It rose sourly from the putrefaction of long-drowned land--it lay sluggish over the stagnation of rotting water--it dribbled sullenly from the powder-fouled muzzles of impotent guns. It oozed up darkly from the sweat-quenched fires of energy, bitter with the taint of exhaustion."

Not the type of thing we are encouraged to write this days, with readers seeking to bounce from one thrill to the next.

acoolwriter
Private E-1

Postby acoolwriter » Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am

Just finished Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes; just started Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

acoolwriter
Private E-1

Postby acoolwriter » Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am

Just finished Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes; just started Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:35 pm

I just started Du Maurier's "Rebecca", per comments in another thread in this forum. It's very English in tone and style, which I like. It's one of the 1001 books I have among others in my personal library that I bought years ago thinking that I needed to read it. After the first five chapters, I see that I needed to have read it sooner.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion