[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What book are you currently reading? : Book Discussion • Page 26 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What book are you currently reading?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
nr1Shorty
Private E-1

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Postby nr1Shorty » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:18 am

"Damned if I Do, Dead if I Don't" by Hannah Bonde. The compelling memoir of a young Swedish woman’s journey from a neglected childhood to an abusive marriage and eventually to freedom from violence in the United States.

bmgaul
Private E-1

Postby bmgaul » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Ender's Game is on my list to be read, but I just haven't got there yet. Currently reading Neuromancer for the first time - what an absolute masterclass in . . . I'm not even sure what to call the style of writing, but clearly Gibson thinks exposition is for suckers! :P Very much enjoying it so far :)

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie
-History of the Czar before assassination
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 am

Haven't touched any fiction in a while. Re-reading Tony Atwood's book on Asperger's, and reading my own damn writing for once.

tinachris
Private E-1

Postby tinachris » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 pm

WAKE UP by Tim Pears, "Haunting and drenched with a dark humour" on the jacket. I came across this paperback on a sale table and remembered reading Tim Pears' novel "In the Place of Fallen Leaves" many years ago, a great read. "Wake Up" is very different. It is a tale of a genetic engineering experiment going spectacularly wrong - grim but also with lots of humour.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Interiorae, a graphic novel by an Italian artist/writer. So beautiful. And, The Boy on Cinnamon Street, also incredibly beautiful and heartbreaking, and written for young people (grade 7 protagonist).

KnightWriter
Private First Class

Postby KnightWriter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am

I'm kicking it old school and finally reading "Christine" by Stephen King. After going 100 pages in, it isn't your traditional story arc for impatient readers. And, since it's stretched out so long...I'm not sure what John Carpenter was thinking about highlighting certain sentences from certain pages to cram into two hours with commercial breaks. If only I could have a car with a bottomless gas tank and heal itself of any affliction...without the demon possession if at all possible. I'd like to see that classified ad saying "Buy it as is. No questions asked." :lol:

4luvofwriting
Private E-2

Postby 4luvofwriting » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Just finished John Grisham's The Confession--not his best but definitely a page turner. Just started to read his The Associate but am having difficulty getting pulled in. It reads like a rush job and missing some much needed editing.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 pm

My Side of The Mountain, loving it! and a real page-turner called "Accounting Basics Volume I." Can't wait to find out what happens in Volume II.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion