[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Favorite Childhood book : Book Discussion • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Neets
Master Sergeant

RE: Favorite Childhood book

Postby Neets » Tue May 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Loved Richard Scarry books too, I only had one though so I was jealous of other friends and their Richard Scarry books. I can remember certain Dr. Suess books "going missing" although between my siblings we knew that we were all protectively hoarding our favorites. I hid "If I Had Duck Feet" which was not Dr. Suess but was in the series.

I also remember being big on Narnia and The Rats of NIMH, the Rescuers, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Stuart Little, Watership Down. Then came my sci-fi and fantasy books, The Princes of Amber series, Doug Adams Hitchhiker series, and Dragonriders of Pern series.

I found my sister's favorite childhood book of all time at the bottom of my cedar chest and sent it to her... I wonder if I was hoarding it? I hope not, she was so happy to get it (Mary Poppins theme book with seven separate story books mounted on to a giant poster board, huge sentimental value)... I have guilt about it being in my posession, but no idea how it got there, honest.

XintricKim
Major

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby XintricKim » Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm

[QUOTE]pencilandpaper - 2008-08-18 5:34 PM

Favorite childhood books---some are still out there!

A. Ramona Quimby series
B. Encyclopedia Brown mysteries
C. Any book by Judy Blume
D. Choose Your Own Adventure series

Oh wow I forgot about Choose Your Own Adventure!  I liked all those books too.  Someone else mentioned The Three Investigators.  Are they the three boys with one character named Jupiter?  So many of these books bring back memories.

My favorite book as a very young child was The Best Nest and Clifford the Big Red Dog and by first grade I was getting into Judy Blume and Ramona Quimby books and stuff.  I know I read Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret? in second grade and when I asked my mom what a period was she said I was too young to know haha.  I read everything I could get my hands on and still do! 

XintricKim
Major

Postby XintricKim » Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm

[QUOTE]pencilandpaper - 2008-08-18 5:34 PM

Favorite childhood books---some are still out there!

A. Ramona Quimby series
B. Encyclopedia Brown mysteries
C. Any book by Judy Blume
D. Choose Your Own Adventure series

Oh wow I forgot about Choose Your Own Adventure!  I liked all those books too.  Someone else mentioned The Three Investigators.  Are they the three boys with one character named Jupiter?  So many of these books bring back memories.

My favorite book as a very young child was The Best Nest and Clifford the Big Red Dog and by first grade I was getting into Judy Blume and Ramona Quimby books and stuff.  I know I read Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret? in second grade and when I asked my mom what a period was she said I was too young to know haha.  I read everything I could get my hands on and still do! 

scratch
Colonel

Postby scratch » Thu May 21, 2009 10:04 am

scratch
Colonel

Postby scratch » Thu May 21, 2009 10:04 am

j_joshi
Major General

Postby j_joshi » Thu May 21, 2009 1:32 pm

I remember being really attached to 'Call of the Wild' and 'White Fang' when I was a kid but I can't remember the books themselves except that they made me really sad.

I loved anything by Roald Dahl but Mathilda in particular was fantastic. Read it over and over.

C.S. Lewis's 'Chronicles of Narnia' were brilliant. I used to lie awake at night, longing to meet Aslan.

Jai

Lisanne
Private E-1

Postby Lisanne » Tue May 26, 2009 7:57 am

My absolute favorite chldhood book was The Valley of Adventure, by Enid Blyton. It was about four kids who are to be taken for a plane ride and get on the wrong plane, one manned by criminals who land in an uninhabited valley. The kids shelter in a cave, find food, elude the criminals, explore the valley and find some extraordinary things. The whole thing enchanted me. I read it over and over, the other books in the series, too, but Valley had it all.

Others here have mentioned A Wrinkle in Time, and that was definitely on my A list. I re-read that one so often I used to quote from it.
Ender's game is another excellent book.

Interesting that so many favorites are SF/fantasy.

I agree with the person who cited The Outsiders as his/her favorite tween/teen book. I was obsessed with it, mainly because of the whole kids-on-their-own thing.

Of early childhood books, my favorite was Go Dog Go! about human-like dogs going about their day. I loved the pictures of them going shopping in their sunglasses, driving cars, etc.

scratch
Colonel

Postby scratch » Tue May 26, 2009 9:32 am

swimmer007
Private E-1

Postby swimmer007 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 pm

There are so many neat responses!!

Go Dog, Go! (I loved the dogs partying in the tree!)
Harriet the Spy(Incredible child pov and her halarious spy-route, plus Ole Golly)
What The Wind Told(Story about a child who is home sick. The wind stops by her open window and tells tales about the windows across the way)
*I've always wanted to expand on this out of print book. I've lost it years ago but remember the entire story.*

swimmer007
Private E-1

Postby swimmer007 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 pm

There are so many neat responses!!

Go Dog, Go! (I loved the dogs partying in the tree!)
Harriet the Spy(Incredible child pov and her halarious spy-route, plus Ole Golly)
What The Wind Told(Story about a child who is home sick. The wind stops by her open window and tells tales about the windows across the way)
*I've always wanted to expand on this out of print book. I've lost it years ago but remember the entire story.*

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion