[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Favorite Childhood book : Book Discussion • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Aislynn
Corporal

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby Aislynn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:56 pm

My fav. was The Charlie Brown's Book of Questions and Answers.

I remember recording my cousin and myself reading the questions and then answering them, pretending we were some radio station talk show. I think we were trying to mimick the kid's t.v. show "Dear Alex & Annie"! Ha ha ha!!!

mdhwenzel
Private First Class

Postby mdhwenzel » Fri May 08, 2009 9:27 am

I read Matilda by Dahl about 5 times in a row. I recently found my old copy and read it again and I still loved the imagination and cleverness of the main character and the book.

My husband's fav book from pre-teen years was Les Mis oddly enough. He read it when he was 12 and still loves it. It's on my to-read list because I love Hugo's other works. Hunchback is quite good with interesting descriptions and his poetry is amazing.

scratch
Colonel

RE: Favorite Childhood book

Postby scratch » Fri May 08, 2009 10:24 am

Early childhood--oh, let's be honest, it's still one of my favorites--Where the Wild Things Are.

2nd grade I discovered the Narnia series, then it was the Three Investigators.

s.c. denton
Corporal

Postby s.c. denton » Fri May 08, 2009 3:26 pm

When I was really old enough to enjoy reading on my own it was...

Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in Eighty Days: Jules Verne
Call of the Wild, and White Fang: Jack London
Lord of the Flies: William Golding
War of the Worlds, The Time Machine: H.G. Wells

Just a few that I'm glad I read early and have read periodically throughout the years. My elementary school had a really great program in conjunction with Pizza Hut whereby for X amount of books read each kid got a redeemable coupon for a free personal pan pizza. I may be wrong on this but judging by what I remember and the kinds of books I read I believe you were only allowed to pick books that were considered classics.

I read constantly, and wrote book reports like a mad man:) There was hardly a Friday night when my parents didn't (feel necessarily obligated I'm sure) that we didn't stop by Pizza Hut so that I could get my personal pan pizza. Lol.

Colonel Travis
Corporal

Postby Colonel Travis » Sat May 09, 2009 12:17 am

Jim Lamb
Master Sergeant

Postby Jim Lamb » Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm

My favourite childhood book was The Mysterious Bender Bones by Susan Meyers. That book just stuck with me until YA books came into my life, many of which are listed here.

Jim 

Jim Lamb
Master Sergeant

Postby Jim Lamb » Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm

My favourite childhood book was The Mysterious Bender Bones by Susan Meyers. That book just stuck with me until YA books came into my life, many of which are listed here.

Jim 

Rusholme Ruffian
Private E-1

Postby Rusholme Ruffian » Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 am

When I was young I used to be really into anything by Bill Wallace. Also, "You're Not My Mommy" and Mercer Mayer's monster books will always have places in my heart. :D

Rusholme Ruffian
Private E-1

Postby Rusholme Ruffian » Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 am

When I was young I used to be really into anything by Bill Wallace. Also, "You're Not My Mommy" and Mercer Mayer's monster books will always have places in my heart. :D

AV Freaky 22
Private E-1

Postby AV Freaky 22 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:00 pm

besides dr. seuss, let's see enid blyton books and when i was 11 i picked up a Sandra Brown Breakfast in Bed...not very child like though...lol

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion