[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Favorite Childhood book : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:01 am

My Dad bought us "Rhymes Without Reason" by Mervyn Peake when I was about 14. I still remember most of them and will recite "I waxes and I wanes, Sir" at the drop of a hat. A book that I borrowed from the library, and subsequently bought so that I could keep it, was "The Swish of the Curtain" by Pamela Brown. Then I started reading H. Rider Haggard and have been stuck on travel fantasy ever since.

pegs
Captain

Postby pegs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:45 am

Just So stories, read out loud, oh my best beloved.

Dr. Seuss, anything.

Harriet the Spy was my hero!

shayd
Lieutenant

Postby shayd » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:01 am

My early childhood reads missed the whole Golden Book and Dr. Seuss phases. I fell in love with some classics at a ridiculously early age. Some of my pre-K favorites included:

Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas
The Three Musketeers - Alexander Dumas
Captain Blood - Rafael Sabatini
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkein

But the all time favorite from my early formative years was Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. It was the first "real" book I ever read (and in fairness, I'd probably memorized most of it from my folks and grandmother's many reading aloud sessions long before I read it on my own)

I didn't read Green Eggs and Ham until I got to college...

rluckett
Private E-1

Postby rluckett » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 am

Do you remember Dick and Jane books? Spot too!

yawriter3
Private E-2

RE: Favorite Childhood book

Postby yawriter3 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:36 pm

All of Judy Blume's books!

I don't think I could have gotten through ages 9-13 without her. She is one of the reasons I have chosen YA as my writing genre.

High School, definitely Wuthering Heights, that is still one of my favorites today.. I'm a sucka for the tragic love story! :(

SWickham
Private E-1

Postby SWickham » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:40 am

This is a great thread, it makes me want to go back and read all these books!!

Definitely Nancy Drew, Judy Blume and Amelia Bedelia (pencilandpaper I didn't know anyone else who read those!!)

Then, I read George MacDonald's the Princess and the Goblin and that was IT! I was hooked on fantasy...moved on to the hobbit and have not looked back since! :)

Mustang Writer
Major

Postby Mustang Writer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:47 pm

SullenLotus
Private E-1

Postby SullenLotus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:47 am

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Rozita
Private E-1

Postby Rozita » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Early childhood...Go Dog Go by Doctor suess.

If 12/13 can be considered childhood...The Warriors books by Erin hunter. I'm still reading them since they are still coming out. :3

elliethemarvelous
Private E-2

Postby elliethemarvelous » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:45 pm

I have to say that Green Eggs and Ham (or anything by Dr. Suess) is my favorite.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion