[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Favorite Childhood book : Book Discussion • Page 12 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Notallwhowander
Private E-1

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby Notallwhowander » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:36 pm

That is so sweet (to the reader above) about your Anne of Green Gables books. My mom gave me the Pooh stories and poems and I read them over and over again. I still read them to kids when I have a chance.

My favorite books to read to kids and one I loved as a child myself were the Just So stories and the Jungle Book stories by Kipling.
I also loved Little Women and Little House on the Prairie books.
Other favorites were (and who knows why) the ones where some poor dog dies... Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows... O my how I loved those tear jerkers too... and the Giver is a great book, one I used over and over as an English teacher.

lorincor
Master Sergeant

Postby lorincor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 am

Wow, so many to choose from! I loved the Hardy Boys because my mom would read them to us at night. Some of my favorite discoveries were the Three Investigators(AWESOME!), Brains Benton, the Mad Scientist Club, and My Side of the Mountain.

Write right, aspire to inspire!!

akitcougar
Private E-2

Postby akitcougar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 am

Hrm, this is tough. I've read too many books that I've loved to pick just one. I think I have to say The Mysterious Benedict Society books are my favorites from a couple years ago. A bunch of smart kids thwarting bad guys made for a great read.

Since I could still be considered a kid (I'm 14), I'm also going to say that my current favorite books are Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and V for Vendetta.

timberline
Private E-1

Postby timberline » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:43 am

When I was about 10, Holling Clancy Holling's "Paddle-to-the-Sea" enchanted me. This gift from my Dad led to receiving more HCH books. I've researched and written about this author, illustrator and naturalist. Then, after connecting with a small museum in Michigan devoted to him, I created a quasi-authoritative Web site at http://hollingcholling.blogspot.com/ to help keep his memory alive.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 am

I've seen the Paddle to the Sea film (I believe NFB did it) but didn't know it was based on a book & there's more out there by the author! Will check your website.

ambermg
Private First Class

Postby ambermg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Nancy Drew, Babysitters club, Little Women, the OZ series, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume.....and yes, when I was in grade school I read the Amelia Bedelia books - they were super funny! I could go on forever...reading was (and is) my favorite thing to do. :)

BookOwl
Private E-1

Postby BookOwl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 am

The Phantom Tollbooth is definitely a keeper
pagechaser.blogspot.com

MJaelaC
Private E-1

Postby MJaelaC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:40 pm

My favorite books to read were The Babysitters Club & The Babysitters Club: Little Sister series by Ann M. Martin. I wish i could find some that were still in their original written print and not "technologically updated." I loved those books in middle school. They were my escape.

:)

Thank you...

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Did I mention the Moomins? Finnish/Swedish artist and writer Tove Janson's beautiful and quirky and funny tales of freedom-loving little creatures evolved from the Finnish trolls who used to live behind porcelain stoves. I think there is a soon-to-be-available "new" volume of the series, basically the very first Moomin story which has never been available for sale over here. I'm DYING to get a copy!!

Smileyface256
Private E-1

Postby Smileyface256 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:28 am

North to Freedom by Anne Holm, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, My Side of the Mountain, Sherlock Holmes, Saddle Club, The Black Stallion, almost anything Dickens...the list goes on and on.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion