Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 am

Harriet the Spy, The Jungle Book, Trixie Belden Mysteries, The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes, The Moomin series by Finnish author Tove Jannson, My Family and Other Animals by Gerrald Durrell (brother of lawrence), My Father's Dragon, the Narnia series. I have never stopped reading kid's literature, I love it & always will.

Thanks to my kid, I now have a whole new world of children's & now pre-teen books to enjoy. Favourite of her bed-time stories from early childhood is almost anything by Margaret Brown, from Good-night Moon to The Sailor Dog ("Born at sea in the teeth of a gale, the sailor was a dog. Scuppers was his name." How can you not love a story that starts like that?). Judy Blume & the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series totally rock, too.

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:55 am

For me it's definitely "Stuart Little" by EB White. It's one of those rare books that has humor and entertainment value for readers of every age. I loved it as a kid, but find it even more entertaining as an adult.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:22 am

The Borrowers series! One of my goals is to write an original story about small people, or a family with one small member, like Stuart Little (but not a mouse, I'm thinking a human).

lvcabbie
Master Sergeant

Postby lvcabbie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:39 am

I recently found a free online library where I can download books for free - I think all are Public Domain and written in the early 1900s.
Anyhow, I found L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz series and am reading them - again! I had the complete connection when I was a kid and still have three of those copies.

I was amazed to see just how many books for children he wrote - a lot beyond the Oz series.
And, even more so, I am astonished by the clear, descriptive, readable style of his writing.

If you haven't read them before, check out The Guttenberg Project.

Scribbles
Private E-1

Postby Scribbles » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:09 am

Mine was 'Secret Garden' by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

I also read a book about a boy who follows King Arthur on a search for the Holy Grail (it's hazy....I know it was a boy and I know it was a search for the Holy Grail, not so sure about who the king was). I've been trying for years to remember the name of the book but still drawing a blank. If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

Lady Kate
Private E-1

Postby Lady Kate » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:20 pm

OOooooo so many that I loved. To include the choose your own adventures! What can I say, my imagination didn't want to be held down, still doesn't! The first that came to mind for me though was 'A Wrinkle in Time' by Madeleine L'Engle.

Lady Kate
Private E-1

Postby Lady Kate » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:20 pm

OOooooo so many that I loved. To include the choose your own adventures! What can I say, my imagination didn't want to be held down, still doesn't! The first that came to mind for me though was 'A Wrinkle in Time' by Madeleine L'Engle.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:52 am

I also loved Freaky Friday. There were numerous quirky little British books that you probably can't find anymore, something about a guy delivering milk & either he or his friend were trying to make a pop record. All very swinging sixties. Man without a Face was eye opening too.

SuperSchmuck
Private E-1

Postby SuperSchmuck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. So much better than Disney's interpretation though that was good, too.

SPOILER ALERT:

Sad thing is is that you find out Tinker Bell is dead by the end.

mayzie71
Private E-1

Postby mayzie71 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am

I love the Anne of Green Gables series. To this day, I have the box set I got from 3rd grade and when ever I need cheering up I read them. It was the last gift my grandfather, a retired English teacher, gave me before he died.

"A Light in the Attic" was another one of my favorite books. I could recite the poem "Brother for Sale" from memory without even trying.

"The Giver" also has a place on the list given it was the first book that made me cry, and cry I did.

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion