[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Shining : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Shining

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
sammig3
Private E-1

The Shining

Postby sammig3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:30 pm

sammig3
Private E-1

The Shining

Postby sammig3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:30 pm

The Shining is actually the only Stephen King book I have read so far. I also really like the movie. I want to know what you think of this book and other books by him. And also if you have seen the movie Shining I would like to hear you compare and contrast the book to the movie.

I thought the movie was pretty good. But I did watch it before reading the book. After reading the book I realized that they did change a lot of things. And I personally think they left some important things out. But what movie doesn't do that to a book?

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: The Shining

Postby LMGilbert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 pm

I wrote about this somewhere earlier. Personally, I liked the movies The Shining and Carrie, but thought the books were sort of lame in comparison. The movie Cujo sucked, yet some King fans say the book was great. I didn't want to risk it. From my previous experiences, I'm prejudiced against his books, although I've enjoyed several movies. Have preferred reading Peter Straub in the past. So many people I know are big fans of Stephen King, that I will probably try to read some more recent work by him.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:20 am

I love the book CUJO and think it one of King's best: lean and mean, as most of his are not. I do like the movie, although I hated the way they changed the ending and left the kid alive.

I like both the novel and the movie (Kubrick's) of THE SHINING, although Kubrick certainly went his own way on the story line. The three-part TV miniseries is much more faithful to the book. The novel is a modern horror classic, although it does show King's tendency to overwrite, something that becomes much more pronounced in his later work.

As for CARRIE, I think it makes a great movie, but it's a strangely-written book, and it amazes me that it became so popular.

My favorite early King novels are 'SALEM'S LOT, CUJO, THE DEAD ZONE, and of course THE STAND, which I plan to re-read soon.

--Warren

SandraJ
Sergeant

Postby SandraJ » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:09 pm

I've read almost every single thing written by Stephen King and I've seen enough of the films adapted form his books to know the movie versions of his novels are horrible.

THE SHINING scared the you-know-what out of me, and the movie version is the only movie adaptation I would recommend watching. The rest are a waste of time, which is unfortunate as the potential for a great thriller is there!

CUJO was another great read, even though I've only read it once. I'm a mom and I can't bear to read stories where bad things happen to moms and their kids.

I got our book club to read THE STAND. Only one other member had read anything by King and my suggestion was met with a great deal of skepticism as the rest of the members made comments like, "He's so creepy!" or "But the book is so long!" or "I don't like horror!".

And you know what? THE SHINING got a ten out of ten (or at least a nine) by the majority of readers and there are now a few more Stephen King fans in the world. As far as I'm concerned, it was mission accomplished!

But don't get me started on Stephen King as I could for hours on his books.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:13 pm

i could go on about Stephen King all day. i loved the Shining; i appreciated how each character, especially Jack and Wendy were imperfect, flawed human beings struggling with addiction and the difficulties of marriage. my family has a lot of alcoholics in it and so i liked reading about the perspective of the addicted person, trying to overcome their demons and not quite being able to do so. i liked how Danny's more mature subconscious was revealed to be the origin of his 'imaginary friend' (especially since my own son is now talking about his imaginary friend, Swiper from the Dora cartoon.)

King always does a lot of research into the history and studies done on psychic ability and this research shows in his writing. i like how scientists occasionally pop up in his novels to give quasi-medical background to what some of his characters are experiencing. i've seen this in his books The Dead Zone and Firestarter as well.

i liked how the latter 2 books had a love story between the protagonists and the loves of their life (Andy McGee and his wife Vicky; and Johnny Smith and Sarah Hazlet) - this really drew me in.

The Stand was probably my most favorite King book for a long time. the tv movie they made out of that one was somewhat credible. i generally do not enjoy movies that were made from books, but in this case i liked how some of the characters came alive.

I thought the remake of the Shining was just awful.

the original Kubrick version, though it changed a lot from the book and made Jack a purely evil character (not a man struggling between the forces of good and evil in his soul, which is how King actually envisioned him) ....still, Kubrick appropriately conveyed the terror and horror of the book.

i read Carrie as well. King likes to poke fun at religious zealotry and rabid superstition - which is interesting, since so much of his subject matter is about psychic ability. Usually people lump psychic ability in with superstition, i think. so he likes to show the 'scientific' or even 'medical' side of that (the study of the human brain and what we don't understand about it) in contrast to superstititious ignorance and the evil both sides can wreak havoc on innocent people (his characters.)

this is really wordy and ugh......so verbose. i am just a real die hard Stephen King fan and like someone else said, i could wax philosophical on his novels for hours.

good topic.

sarrot
Private E-2

Postby sarrot » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:46 pm

I may not be a Stephan King fan, but his novels are anything but philisophical. Stephan King stories are psychological. You do not sit up for hours debating Stephan King. Stanely Kubrick was the godsend to King because it was his (Kubrick's) vision that wanted people to read The Shining.

Furthermore Stephan King is way to much hype.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:32 am

s.c. denton
Corporal

Postby s.c. denton » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:05 am

ramboyearone
Private E-1

Postby ramboyearone » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 am

I am italian, so I have read the italian translation of Shining... Anyway I did not read all of it, because I did not liked it.

King is one of favourite top ten writers, second only to E. A. Poe, and I have read 80% of his books (they are so many...).
I like to think of me as one of his sons (I like to write and he is my myth). Pet Semetary is probably my favourite book of all times.
So no one can say I don't like King., but I did not liked SHINING.

He should have cut 20% of that book, and it would have been perfect. But he did not.
When you read it, it is clear that the author has lost himself too many times, while writing it.
I think shining is a prevously work than it's publishing date.
In my opinion he was too young. It is clear that his capacity of focusing ideas was not so good as it was in many other of his books.
Later, he wrote much more better.

Return to Book Discussion