[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Michael Crichton's "Sphere" : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Michael Crichton's "Sphere"

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
LucisPixel
Private E-1

Michael Crichton's "Sphere"

Postby LucisPixel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:01 am

I just reread Michael Crichton's the Sphere. I love the pacing of the story. It starts off slow and deliberate and then it manifests this great story where alien intelligence is fighting off crew members and they are dying off one by one. When I read it when I was a teenager it seemed highly plausible and frightening. Then after rereading it twenty years later I came to find that there were some amazing holes in the story and the way Crichton just kept knocking off people. When I was younger I did not notice how the characters seemingly did not care about all of the death and destruction that surrounded them. I found the lack of mourning in the latest reading to be the most interesting aspect. I find that mourning in general is a lost activity in society in general and this book only brought it back to the forefront of my mind.

Crichton in his scientific fictional work creates this masterpiece of jargon that comes from nuanced takes on how to apply his technical vocabulary to a fictional universe. I remember as a youth that my favorite part of the story was the way that he infused various technical memes that made reading it very rewarding. I also found this out. I visited a site similar to Pandora that lets you discover similar authors to your favorite. I discovered that my love of Michael Crichton links me to James Patterson and several other stalwart authors that are favorites of my father. Apparently I picked up a love for a genre of writing that my father loves as well.

I really enjoy reading technical jargon infused beautifully with fiction.

Its a great read.
Visit my ongoing magazine effort at

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: Michael Crichton's "Sphere"

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 pm

Crichton was a smooth and confident pro. He began writing in college.
I'm not much a fan of his later works; but not due to any perceived flaw in his writing. I just don't think his later story-ideas appealed to me just due to complete happenstance. I generally don't read books about aliens, for example; and I dislike both gorillas and dinosaurs. I also despise things like nanotech and aerodynamics. So it just randomly transpired that the topics he chose to develop left me uninterested.

But I am still dazzled by his early career. I'll defend those to my last breath. I think he was a pioneer; audacious and vital to the genre he worked in.

My two top favorites remain 'Andromeda Strain' and 'Great Train Robbery'. Just astounding conceptions, both. 'Terminal Man' was far-seeing but a little less deft.
Blow up the bridge?!

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:02 am

Charlie:

You really need to look at the posting date. This was a single post nearly two years ago.

It's not my place to "moderate" you, but I know from experience that "zombifying" old threads like this almost never results in renewed discussion, especially since the original poster is likely no longer participating.

If you're posting only to post, please do so with new threads rather than posting to old ones like this.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:04 pm

This is confusing to me. If I see a discussion 'somewhere' in the forum, and it piques my interest--why ought I tape my mouth closed and not enjoy the privilege of airing my reaction? I'm new to the board. I don't know anyone here.

So the 'old' discussions interest me. Actually I don't even notice that they might be 'old', I just see the 'subject' or 'header' and I focus on that (if it turns out to be engaging). I see that some of them may be 'pushed back' in the forum pages, but that to me doesn't mean they aren't interesting.

'Fresh' posts elsewhere in the forefront of the board, are slow and infrequent. It's rather sleepy up in the 'front' of the room. There's nothing to respond to. I refresh the page often, but 'new' topics don't appear.

So when I roam around various threads, I'm not looking for anything but content to intrigue me. And upon finding some, I want to speak up if I feel I have something to contribute. I'm not 'posting just to post' I'm just trying to exercise my brain.

In this case, isn't Michael Crichton always worth talking about? Wouldn't he be worth talking about in a hundred yrs? Again, I find the concept of 'out of date' conversation very perplexing.

Especially in the case of screenwriting (my main interest). Because script format is so rigid, discussion about craft is always relevant anytime it has ever taken place. People learn these techniques at different rates; newbies vs intermediates vs experts.

Again, if I am restricted by the rules of the forum I will certainly comply but I'd feel a marked loss in having my hands tied. Can you better explain the danger you're pointing out to me?
Blow up the bridge?!

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:01 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Return to Book Discussion