[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Favorite Childhood book : Book Discussion • Page 13 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 am

Just remembered another one, The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:58 am

I was first hooked with Beverly Cleary with all the Ramona books and then read everything by her. I moved to Judy Blume after reading "Freckle Juice". Then I couldn't get enough of her books. I loved "The Great Brain" by John Fitzgerald and then read that whole series of books. Later I was hooked on Little House on the Prairie and the Chronicles of Narnia. I still have those two sets from when I was young hoping my kids would love them as much as I did. But only 1 of my 5 girls enjoys reading as much as I do.

fluenne
Private E-1

Postby fluenne » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am

When I was young, I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and (like so many others) I just fell in love with it. Since then I've probably read around 95% of Roald Dahl's books, and at gun point I'd have to say my favorites are Matilda and The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.

Smileyface256
Private E-1

Postby Smileyface256 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:07 am

I love Roald Dahl, he's a genius! The Dickens of children's literature, you might say.

Alienscifi
Private E-2

Postby Alienscifi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:06 am

Does the Animorphs series count here?

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 am

Love the Animorphs! I used to read them with my kid, but she hasn't been interested lately, & she refuses to read the last book, so I don't know how it all ends! K.A. Applegate has other science fiction series for youth, too.

ThaddeusWI
Private E-1

Postby ThaddeusWI » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:56 pm

"The Thief of Always" by Clive Barker

I rarely re-read a book...but I've devoured this one half a dozen times!

I also agree Roald Dahl deserves a big nod to his stories.

jannertfol
Private E-1

Postby jannertfol » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 am

Definitely "Old Yeller" by Fred Gipson. Still a book I wish I'd written myself! Great coming-of-age story, told in a unique, realistic voice. Forget the Disney film. This is a great book.
Last edited by jannertfol on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jannertfol
Private E-1

Postby jannertfol » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 am

b.sherman
Private E-2

Postby b.sherman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion