The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Petar Mihaylov

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Postby Petar Mihaylov » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:55 am

I am pretty sure this book has already been reviewed somewhere here in this section. Nevertheless, I feel like even a hundred posts won't be enough for it to be reviewed properly.

I will start by saying that few books have ever managed to keep my attention for so long. I read Chbosky's novel in a less than two days which is certainly a record as I'm a particularly slow reader. I like to take my time with books and not only think on the content and the story, but on the structure and language as well. I like to squeeze everything there is from a book.

Many of you have probably seen the film before reading the book. Definitely worth the watch! The author himself directed the movie and boy, did he manage it correctly. Emma Watson and Logan Lerman were incredible in it. All very well but I began this post with the intention of writing about the book.

Obviously, I won't go into the story because it could ruin the experience for those of you who haven't yet read it. I want to concentrate on the things I learned as a writer.

First of all, the amazing simplicity of the language and the writing progress of the kid were the two main reasons why I was so blown away by this particular piece of art. Although the book was written in first person, and with that, as we know, there is a decent amount of limitations, I believe on the contrary. The book itself couldn't have been written in a different way and still be able to deliver the message like it did. By observing everything through the eyes of the protagonist the reader could get the whole picture without even thinking about a different point of view. With the power of simple yet effective language it's all laid there. Emotion in its purest form.

Other than the obvious lesson in how simply yet staggeringly powerful a novel could be written, as a writer I managed to realize the importance of the high density of feelings. That's what makes "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" a masterpiece. Each page is packed with emotions and the way they're delivered makes the story even more interesting.

Lastly, after seeing the movie I understood the freedoms a writer has over those of a film director. It doesn't matter how skilled the producers or actors are, the simple reality is that with the help of the word, one could reach far greater emotional experiences rather than relying on the image. Don't get me wrong! I am not against film industry, I am simply underlining the advantages Mr. Chbosky has had while writing the novel to those of directing the movie. Same material, different ways of delivering it.
Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer.
Christopher Hitchens

molark

Re: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Postby molark » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 am

Excellent review. I saw part of the film and did not finish it. I found the angst of the young protagonist rather difficult to fathom with all the dramatic shifty eye movement that, I guess, estimated his loneliness. I will finish the movie eventually and then take upon the both at some point. Thanks for the review!

Return to Book Discussion