THE ELEPHANT WHISPERER

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
tinachris

THE ELEPHANT WHISPERER

Postby tinachris » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:26 pm

This is an amazing book, part memoir part anecdotes. Lawrence Anthony, a businessman turned conservationist, worked with a herd of “rogue” elephants on a private game reserve in Zululand, South Africa. His book tells the story of saving the herd, categorized as violent and unruly, at the request of an animal welfare organization. He decided that to save their lives he “would stay with them, feed them, talk to them. But, most importantly, be with them day and night”. He communicates with them using the language strategies that humans employ to communicate with each other, and a strong bond is formed with his elephants. Read this book and you will be floored by the incredible communication between Anthony and his elephants, and you may even be in tears as I was.
When Lawrence Anthony died, of a heart attack, the elephants were grazing miles away. They travelled for over 12 hours to reach his house, stayed in the compound for a couple of days and then returned to the reserve. They had not visited the compound for a year. According to Anthony’s wife and his son, “in coming up there on that day of all days, we certainly believe that they had sensed it”, Anthony’s passing.
If you love animals and adore elephants you will truly enjoy reading this book.

Jowen

Re: THE ELEPHANT WHISPERER

Postby Jowen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:17 pm

I loved "The Elephant Whisperer," too. An amazing true story, told by an amazing conservationist.
[imge=3509-3]

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 am

A very good book, but these many of these conservationists are killing more elephants than they're saving. People think of elephants as endangered, but there are far too many in most areas, and they're in considerably more danger for eating themselves out of house and home, rather than from hunters or poachers.

Jowen

Postby Jowen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 am

It's not just about elephants. Conservation and eco-tourism is about creating jobs for Zulus in poor rural communities and giving them a stake in the future of the African wilderness. Left to themselves, like the fur trappers of old, hunters and poachers will kill and keep on killing -- for the pot -- for ivory, horn and anything else they can make money on, until there are no animals left. In Asia, for example, on the streets of China or Vietnam there is an insatiable demand for rhino horn, which ounce for ounce is more valuable than gold.
[imge=3509-3]

grosburg
Site Admin

Postby grosburg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm

This is a great book!

tinachris

Postby tinachris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm

You may also enjoy THE LAST RHINOS by the same author as The Elephant Whisperer, Lawrence Anthony. Sadly, Anthony passed away before finishing the book but it was continued by a friend as co-author.

tinachris

Postby tinachris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:10 pm

My apologies - it was, of course, BABYLONS ARK by Lawrence Anthony that was co-authored by his friend Graham Spence when Anthony passed away before finishing writing the book.

Jowen

Postby Jowen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 am

tinachris wrote:My apologies - it was, of course, BABYLONS ARK by Lawrence Anthony that was co-authored by his friend Graham Spence when Anthony passed away before finishing writing the book.

Are you sure, tinachris? I think you were right the first time. I have just finished reading THE LAST RHINOS and there was a special tribute at the back written by Graham Spence, Anthony's brother-in-law and friend, referring to Anthony's death in March 2012. I'm sure I remember reading references to the book BABYLON'S ARK, too, which took place during the war in Iraq. Spence also said the title of THE LAST RHINOS was changed, but was sadly fitting after Anthony's death.
[imge=3509-3]

Return to Book Discussion