What book are you currently reading?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
ann33

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Postby ann33 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:38 am

I just finished Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay. If you love mystery thrillers, you will enjoy this book as it has many twists and turns.

LMGilbert

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm re-reading the Moomin series by Tove Janson. Along with it I'm also looking at the comic strip collections published by Drawn & Quarterly. The first book, never before available in English I think, is now out in England. Will it ever get here? I'm way more excited about this than about Rowling's new non-Harry Potter novel.

G-Girl2

Postby G-Girl2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm reading the Wool omnibus by Hugh Howey. The first part was an excellent stand alone story so when he recently offered the further chapters in one volume for $.99 I went for it.

tinachris

Postby tinachris » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:49 pm

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes - great characterization, Barnes writes a beautiful book about four student friends and a mystery surrounding the suicide of one of them. Highly recommend this book.

tinachris

The serpent and the rainbow

Postby tinachris » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I read this book some years ago and truly enjoyed it. Wade Davis (Canadian living on the West Coast, I am proud to say) is a great writer and has written some very interesting books on his subject as an antropologist. The Serpent .. is certainly not a scary zombie book. Dont hesitate to read it.

louiseh87

Postby louiseh87 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:52 pm

tinachris wrote:The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes - great characterization, Barnes writes a beautiful book about four student friends and a mystery surrounding the suicide of one of them. Highly recommend this book.

I heard that on the radio. Admittedly it was slightly abridged, but I remember enjoying the story and hating the ending.

Just finished Paul Magrs' Beyond Wildthyme! . It was full of different narrative voices and timelines, and stream of conciousness. Going to recover by picking up where I left off in Ursula le Guin's Lavinia, which will hopefully remain largely linear and singular.
Louise :)

---------------------------
Twitter - where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

LMGilbert

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:39 am

Hatchet, by Gary Paulson. I think I'm going on a survival-story binge.

louiseh87

Postby louiseh87 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 am

On to The Heir of Night by Helen Lowe.
Louise :)

---------------------------
Twitter - where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

LMGilbert

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:43 am

Just started a new Ruth Rendell story, The St. Viti Society, and as usual, can't put it down for long.

Jowen

Postby Jowen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 am

"The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick DeWitt. A very different Western told from the POV of hired killer, Eli. All the bawdiness and thuggery of the Wild West 1850s goldrush era, juxtaposed with surprisingly gentlemanly dialogue, sensitivity and kindness. Love it.
[imge=3509-3]

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion