Now That's Money

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
LilliesCarol

Now That's Money

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 am

The other day my husband picked up several books at the library (large print). Among one of them was a book by Patricia Cornwell, who writes murder mysteries. Her main character is always Dr. Scarpetta, a medical examiner. He just began reading this book, when CBS ran a big clip about her. It seems she has never let anyone in her house, etc.,and this was a first time interview. She has a new book which came out on Tuesday. She showed her 3.5 million dollar helicopter, which she learned to fly, because one of her characters flies one. She has sold over 100 million books, and really before the interview, I never heard of her. Has anyone else? That is some kind of money and some kind of writer. I began reading her book late at night when my husband is sleeping, so he doesn't have a snit about sharing during the day. The long and short is, she wrote this book, Black Notice, in first person. If you like medical lingo, then you'll learn a lot. I'm about half way through and find it quite interesting. Also, beware the foul language.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

James A. Ritchie

Re: Now That's Money

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:11 pm

She's one of the most famous mystery writers out there, and I tried reading her first couple of novels. Not really the kind of stories or MC I enjoy reading, but she writes well, and it's definitely a case of write what you know. I know quite a few people who order her books as soon as they become available.

EccentricKim

Postby EccentricKim » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm

I've heard of her; she's also a lesbian.

But I tried reading one of her books and was bored to tears. After 80 plus pages, the characters are STILL not really doing anything, but it was one of her most recent books, so I don't know why this happened. She starts out with the MC taking a shower and thinking, then Scarpetta hears that something bad happened from her smart-aleck jerk of a male sidekick (I forget what exactly the bad thing was) and she need to travel back to her home base to see a dead body. Then she packs and thinks. Then they drive and have backstory, then they meet her lesbian niece and talk, then they get to the helicopter and have more backstory-dialogue in which for some reason the younger niece is instructing the MC on something from the past in which the MC was actually there and the niece was surely a small child. Oh, I was so bored and wrote an anti-review on it. I can't remember the name of that one, but someone gave me another book of hers, too. I haven't started reading it yet but maybe the other one is better.

To me, it just seemed like the story started out by doing everything that we are not supposed to do! There was no action and still hadn't been in almost 100 pages. Not my thing.
Previously published writer starting over.

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 am

In a way, the fact that she's a lesbian is going to make for a real life thriller one day, and almost certainly a movie. Have you seen this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... venge.html

shadowwalker

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 am

I've read almost all of her books and enjoyed them very much. She's on my "watch list", actually. Not sure what her being lesbian has to do with anything, though.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Elibet1

Postby Elibet1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Isn't she the one who spend millions of her own money by going to London and trying to prove who Jack The Ripper was? That was a few years back. I think CBS did a Documentary on it.
[b]JOINED: WED APR 5th 2006. POSTS: 7,577[/b]
http://elizabethre.wordpress.com

shadowwalker

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:51 pm

I believe she was involved in that, though I couldn't say to what extent. I do remember watching some show about it though.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

James A. Ritchie

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:25 am

Elibet1 wrote:Isn't she the one who spend millions of her own money by going to London and trying to prove who Jack The Ripper was? That was a few years back. I think CBS did a Documentary on it.

Yes, which was silly, and her conclusions were all wrong. Contrary to popular belief, there's never been much doubt who Jack the Ripper was, and police were planning an arrest, but the suspect died before this could happen.

Jack the Ripper is mostly media hype, and largely based on the fact that many records weren't released until long, long after the myth sprang up.

Return to Book Discussion