[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Editing : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Editing

keWhee
Private E-1

Editing

Postby keWhee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Can anyone tell me what to expect for professional editing services. How much do they cost. How effective are they. I looked into the services listed on Amazon and it seemed a bit pricey. I have two novels ready for editing and intend to go self publishing once I get past the mechanical issues.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Editing

Postby pls » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Well into five figures, if not six, depending on the length of your work.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

keWhee
Private E-1

Postby keWhee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:17 am

Boy, do I sure hope you have a decimal point misplaced in there. I have one person who is suggesting $50/hour. I also priced the Amazon editing feature and at the length of my novel it was over $2000. I don't think I can realistically hope to recoup that since the average self publisher rarely sells more than a few hundred copies.

I like to have faith that my story will sell, but that seems a daunting task to start that far in the red to begin with.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:37 am

For editing a novel there are several types. A developmental edit, which is the highest level, is between $4-$5k. I got that number from an editor working at a top ten publisher, who does it on the side. Editors usually charge per word. Five cents for a 100k novel is $5k. If all you want is a spelling and grammar check, you can get them for cheaper.

keWhee
Private E-1

Postby keWhee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Well, thanks for the info. Right about now I'm thinking "Why oh why didn't I pay more attention in those English classes." I think I'm only looking for spelling and grammar and hopefully that will not put my dream out of reach.

Thanks again

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 pm

J A Konrath has an editor he uses listed in the sidebar of his blog. She's the most resonably priced editor I have seen. I would give you a link but I'm commenting from my phone. Just Goggle him and you'll find it easy. :D

keWhee
Private E-1

Postby keWhee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm a fan of Mr. Konrath, his championing of self publishing even if I must admit I haven't read his work yet. Thanks for the tip.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:25 am

I know nothing about this person. I just came across this tonight, but their prices aren't too bad either.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:32 am

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:30 am

Short answer: High quality publishing isn't a one-person operation.

I've seen myself pass over a spelling error a dozen times, only to have a second reader see it in seconds. I saw what I intended, not what was actually on the page. Seems to be human nature.

People succeed at self-publishing all on their own. I'm not saying it can't be done. But you're flying into hurricane force headwinds going it wholly alone.

Now, that said, there are other options besides paying a professional editor. Beta-readers. Swaps with other writers. And others I can't think of this early in the morning. Each has a certain advantage and disadvantage.

If you're going to do this, I recommend one of the many books out there about self-publishing. Since Writer's Digest has a couple, and this is their forum :lol:, I'm going to say use one of those, but there are many out there to choose from. Especially f you find one from an author who has succeeded.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions