[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
acknowledgement question : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

acknowledgement question

sheltiefostermom
Private E-1

acknowledgement question

Postby sheltiefostermom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:24 am

I am publishing my first book with Brown Books Publishing Group/Brown Books Kids. We are in pre-press proof stage and they made what seemed to me an odd request. They want to be included in my thank you/acknowledgment section.

This is from their email: "Adding BB to the acknowledgment was not standard in the past, but it has become standard. If you chose not to include it, it is up to you. However, it you do want to include it, this would be the wording unless you want to change it: Thanks to the outstanding group of professionals at Brown Books Publishing Group."

I'm sorry, but this put a bad taste in my mouth since I'm paying them a pretty penny to do this book.

MY acknowledgment:
"I would like to thank my family, friends, and coworkers for their support and encouragement. A big shout-out for Morgan Spicer bringing Sashi’s story to life and Maia for mentoring and editing, Barbara Kahn and Terry Smith for their invaluable assistance during Sashi’s training, and to Shetland Sheepdog Placement Services of New Jersey for approving my adoption application so I could bring our princess home."

Thoughts?
Linda
Sheltiefostermom
www.njsheltiemom.com

pls
Site Admin

Re: acknowledgement question

Postby pls » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:04 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 am

How about:

Thanks to the outstanding group of professionals at Brown Books Publishing Group for taking my money. :D

Seriously though, I'm assuming you only paid them because you wanted a few copies to show your family and friends. You do not have to acknowledge them whether you paid for the book or not, and since you are paying for the book, I would leave their name out of it. I'm sure Maia informed you that you most likely will not make the money back that you put out, so you do not owe the publishing company anything.

sheltiefostermom
Private E-1

Postby sheltiefostermom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Terry and Pls
The book is going to be advertised on Sheltie Nation and via email to the sheltie rescues across the country. It has been endorsed by the Director of National Sheltie Rescue. They can buy the book from me at a discounted rate and then resell at their own events at retail price. Their rescue keeps the additional money. I did not look to "make a profit" or even make my money back. The purpose is to spread awareness of rescue, fostering, and the nature of shelties. Too many end up in shelters because people do not understand what to expect once that adorable puppy grows/matures into an adult. I would post the link to the Kirkus review, but I'm assuming that is against WD policy. I considering advertising via Kirkus as well.

Thank you for your comments and advice :)
Linda
Sheltiefostermom
www.njsheltiemom.com

Return to General Questions & Discussions