Re-publishing

mpcotter9751
Private E-1

Re-publishing

Postby mpcotter9751 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

I have a question about re-publishing an already self-published book.

I was told by some agents that established publishing houses will (generally) not be interested in re-publishing an already self-published novel. This is because the peak sales period for a new book (novel, in this case) is its first six weeks on the shelf. After that, sales decline and publishers don't want to invest time and money re-publishing such books. I guess I can't blame them. But here's my question:

Can you take a self-published novel off the market, retool the text, put a new title on it, and submit the revised book to an agent or publisher?

I ask this because my first novel hasn't sold well and I've been told what's wrong with it and would like to make major edits in it while still retaining the basic story line.

Also, I have a second novel that hasn't sold well, and I'd like to retitle it and put it back out there in self-published form. Would I face any difficulties with that?

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Re-publishing

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:35 am

I would, in the first instance, make darn sure you inform the agents/publishers that it is a "re-tooled" version of the original. Don't, and they find out - your career in trade publishing is basically over.

In the second case, personally I hate to see writers do that. If it didn't work the first time, re-titling it is basically lying to readers - particularly those who may have already purchased the original.

Consider these learning experiences. Figure out what "went wrong" and try to fix it with the next book.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

mpcotter9751
Private E-1

Re: Re-publishing

Postby mpcotter9751 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am

Okay, thanks.

Return to General Questions & Discussions