Referencing Well-known Criminals In Fiction...

RunBuff
Private E-1

Referencing Well-known Criminals In Fiction...

Postby RunBuff » Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi,
I've decided to self-publish my novel later this summer. With this exciting challenge, I'm taking a hard look at certain elements in the story that would normally be left to an editor's judgement. For quick reference my novel can be summed by this log line: A vigilante computer hacker set her sights on a fraudulent Wall Street financier and discovers a shocking secret about her own past.

Now, in the story, to give it some texture and credence, I briefly reference four well-known hackers and their exploits from yesteryear, who made headlines and were wanted by the FBI. So, the question is, fictionalize them, or can I leave them as is? I have no problem rewriting the two paragraphs if it means avoiding potential legal issues.

Cheers,
Ty

pls
Site Admin

Re: Referencing Well-known Criminals In Fiction...

Postby pls » Fri May 23, 2014 8:20 pm

If these hackers have been successfully prosecuted for their crimes, you have nothing to worry about if you use their personages UNLESS you intentionally libel them.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

RunBuff
Private E-1

Re: Referencing Well-known Criminals In Fiction...

Postby RunBuff » Fri May 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks, Paul. They were convicted and served time for their acts, and I only reference what they were charged and convicted for straight from archived news sources reporting at that time. Some have even had movies based on them, namely Kevin Mitnick.

Cheers,
Ty

Return to General Questions & Discussions