[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
A New Form of Hybrid Publishing: Great Fit for New Writers? : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

A New Form of Hybrid Publishing: Great Fit for New Writers?

fathoms77
Private E-1

A New Form of Hybrid Publishing: Great Fit for New Writers?

Postby fathoms77 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi!

I just joined up and I intend to contribute quite frequently...book clubs are a little hard to find in my neck of the woods, so I guess I'll have to rely on virtual book clubs! :D

I just wanted to give my fellow writers a heads-up concerning a new publisher out there: It's Light Switch Press, which digitally produces your book entirely for free. Being someone who has avoided digital publishing like the plague, someone who has been on the lookout for every scam on the planet, I was REALLY skeptical at first. There's GOT to be a catch, right? They're not just going to put up your book for $10 at Amazon at Barnes & Noble, and that's that.

Oh...but they did. That's what gets me. Within a matter of days, there it was-

http://lightswitchpress.com/blog/?p=131

I paid not a dime. Now, you do have to pay if you require editing services or you want to pick up a marketing package. Even then, though, it's far cheaper than any vanity or POD press I've seen. AuthorHouse is quite possibly the biggest scam going today, for example. I'm reserving a few of my books for the traditional publishing route (I still have hope), and I don't think my newly published novel will make me a ton of money. But you know, just having your work out there, available to read, is quite a thrill. ;)

Not sure what avenues you guys and gals have tried in the past, but I'd recommend giving this one a look. You'll probably be hearing a lot more about LSP in the future; that'd be my guess.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: A New Form of Hybrid Publishing: Great Fit for New Write

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 pm

So this is basically a new e-publishing service. How is that a "new form of hybrid publishing"?
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:20 pm

So that I know if I need to move this thread to tips, can you tell me if this is a real publisher or similar to Smashwords or Amazon? Did you sign a contract that gives this publisher certain rights? If not, and you can remove your novel at any time then it would appear to be self-published.

fathoms77
Private E-1

Postby fathoms77 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:25 pm

fathoms77
Private E-1

Postby fathoms77 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:34 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

fathoms77
Private E-1

Postby fathoms77 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:03 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:10 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:26 am

I'm trying to figure out how this is any different than Smashwords. :?
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:04 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions