[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self-Publishing Company Choices : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self-Publishing Company Choices

Sparhauoc
Private E-1

Self-Publishing Company Choices

Postby Sparhauoc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello!

I’m in the process of finalizing my first novel. Writing was difficult, but rewarding. Trying to figure out self-publishing is giving me a migraine.

While I would love to make money on my book, I’m not delusional. First book by an unknown author using “vanity” publishing? I’ll be happy if I break even! I’m just trying to get my book available to the most people possible in all the common mediums – Hardback, Paperback, Kindle, iBooks, and Nook. Unless I sell thousands and thousands of copies, it’s not like I’ll be quitting my day job anyway. If that, by some blessed miracle, does happen, then I’ll look a little more closely on how to maximize profits for my next book.

I have come up with a plan, but just want to run it by some others who have traveled this route before. I’m THINKING of using BookBaby for the eBook (I will use the free plan – I can compile my book in epub format), and Lightning Source for the print books.

My logic is simple – BookBaby makes it available on the “Big Three” (Kindle, Nook, and iBooks) for free since I don’t need the technical help. Smashwords is another option. I just like BookBaby more after playing around the sites, and I like that I can get phone support (assuming I pay for it) if needed.

I have ruled out Lulu after seeing the price I would have to charge for each book. YIKES! I was then leaning towards CreateSpace, but the book would only be available in paperback. So now I’m thinking Lightning Source.

Anyone ever gone this route, or can anyone say why this would be a bad idea? PS – I have been told I need to be familiar with Adobe products to use Lightning Source, but that’s ok. I use CreativeSuite and FrameMaker all the time (I’m a Tech Writer/Web Developer by day).

pls
Site Admin

Re: Self-Publishing Company Choices

Postby pls » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:13 pm

I use Smashwords to reach 12 e-book venues at the same time and post directly to Amazon for the 13th. If I ever decide to try to market hard-copy books, I'll use CreateSpace.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Never tried Lightning Source myself, and I too ruled out Lulu long ago.... gasp.

I'm a Smashwords/CreateSpace kind of guy myself. Both sites were fairly simple to navigate although you have to do your due diligence if you want to pass all the quality checks. I never had any issues with Smashwords formatting because I was able to quickly format my document using their 'nuclear' suggesting of going text-only to strip formatting and then re-applying only the formats you want.

CreateSpace allows you to download formatting templates which I utilized and think highly of, because the alternative is digging deep into your layout options in MS Word and trying to fine tune everything yourself. My first novel 'Line of Sight' is already available on kindle, nook, and iBooks (I had to use kdp for the kindle because smashwords and kindle don't get along so well, it would seem) the print version from createspace might be available as early as next week, as the proof has already shipped to me and I am expecting it any day now and am very confident there won't be any issues that need tweaking. And I'm only about three months or so from putting the sequel out there, if my schedule holds. So yay!!!!

And for the kdp/smashwords/CreateSpace route, I did not have to use any Adobe products except for Photoshop for the cover, which a friend did for me for peanuts :D I'm assuming you were referring to InDesign, which I have never used, but have heard that it's really nice.

Let us know what you settle on and what your experiences are!

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

wantstolaugh
Private E-1

Postby wantstolaugh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:51 am

My covers I did with GIMP which is a free version of photoshop... and i use Open Office a free word program.

I wanted to throw my computer out the window when trying to format with smashwords, because, yes, I nuked it. But i did not truly understand the "Styles/Formatting" tools on writer. I have learned them now, and use them for create space as well. Something I think i totally did not understand was that I needed to format the paragraphs (font, alignment, flow) AND the pages (left page, right page, title page). It took me a while to get that straight. Now I am giving out templates to my friends to use. Saves a lot of time!

Also, always upload to createspace as PDF... i think that CS does a horrible job of letting authors know that the only cost is the proof of the book ($4 in my case, including shipping) and whatever books you buy and give away or sell in person. After looking at all of the $1500 packages out there, that then add marketing, editing, etc... i didnt understand that createspace was basically free. Because of this, I delayed my publishing for well over a year.

humor, historical fiction, erotica

slopez1765
Private E-1

Postby slopez1765 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:00 am

GIMP might seem like a "free version of photoshop" but it's not. Still, it's great software that may be successfully used in getting some basic graphic design work done. It's highly recommended to users who need to crop, scale, filter out things. If the design of your cover falls into the category of 'nice' and 'neat', GIMP is the way to go, no doubt. However, when you want to create something that'd be more of a big-bang theory art with millions of micro elements in it, spare yourself the trouble and get a professional graphic designer to do the work for you.

By the way, there's a 15% discount on BLURB where you can self-publish a book in the Kindle format as well as in the paperback/hardcover format

michaelspelling
Private E-1

Postby michaelspelling » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:23 am

I do think there are a lot of good company for your needs.

sophiakortig
Private E-1

Postby sophiakortig » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Congrats,.I know it would be of the great masterpiece of yours,How I wish someday I can write a novel, but for me to do it,,I need to gather some information,. and that is the number one reason why I am here at this forum. Thanks and ALL THE BEST would come in your way.,:-)

Return to General Questions & Discussions