[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Those of you who've been paid by Smashwords... : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Those of you who've been paid by Smashwords...

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Those of you who've been paid by Smashwords...

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:32 am

Just a couple general questions, for anyone who has made any money from Smashwords. I was reading their FAQ and did not find it specific enough for my tastes.

Let me see if I get this right, and if anyone has experience, please correct me where appropriate:

- For every sale from a channel, like Apple, amazon, etc, that sale will report back to Smashwords and show up in my dashboard within 30-60 days of the sale. (So if I sell a book on Amazon on January 1, I can expect to be able to see that sale by the end of March at the latest)

- Smashwords pays out royalties within 30 days of the end of a quarter, which, if I make my minimum balance of $10, should include anything that has been reported back to Smashwords as of that time.

Sound right?

So what happens to any first quarter sales that get reported back after I've been paid for the first quarter? Are they added to my balance for the second quarter?

pls
Site Admin

Re: Those of you who've been paid by Smashwords...

Postby pls » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:41 pm

Not sure I can answer your questions completely, but unless you're signed up through PayPal (which I'm not) your payments will be delayed until you pass the $75 threshold for them to generate a check.

Unless you're one of a very few authors, you won't see payments from Amazon via Smashwords, as Smashwords has been able to negotiate only a very few specific uploads to Amazon. Sales through Smashwords itself will show up instantly. Other venues tend to report quarterly, although some (not sure which) may report monthly. And I believe balances are carried over into the following quarters if they do no meet whichever minimum threshold you're operating under.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

wantstolaugh
Private E-1

Re: Those of you who've been paid by Smashwords...

Postby wantstolaugh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:11 am

I have been paid by smashwords, just yesterday as a matter of fact... for the first quarter. Right after, the system updated, and i had a sale from scribd or someplace... it registerd for this quarter. It was a paypal, and I received all of the money they told me I would. However, I opted out of Amazon for the reason the above poster stated--- unless you sell 2000, you arent on their list. Amazon needs manual input, and does not like smashwords system... so they limit the number of entries smashwords puts on amazon. I also opted out of B&N, and put my work on Amazon and B&N directly. This worked better for me. I could see who was doing better, and who owed me what. B&N sent me a message that they were going to send my money, but that it would take a couple days. With smashwords, it was instant.

HOWEVER... i do have a problem with the print book.. from createspace. CS is an amazon company, and they put it on B&N... i have had sales from B&N that have not been recorded... and supposedly this happens a lot. not exactly thrilling for us.

humor, historical fiction, erotica

Return to General Questions & Discussions