[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do I really need page breaks? : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do I really need page breaks?

DBergendorf
Sergeant

Do I really need page breaks?

Postby DBergendorf » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:49 am

I'm talking about Kindle. I've got the MSS formatted (justified, etc), and a few pages have one short graph at the top, then a whole lot of white space. Why not just separate the chapters with a number? Then there's a better continuity.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Do I really need page breaks?

Postby pls » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:27 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:18 pm

I would hate to read something that didn't have page breaks between the chapters, fyi. I like a nice clean break. I just do.

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:16 pm

If you don't have page breaks, you will sometimes have a chapter heading at the bottom of a page, all by itself. I just read a good book that was well-formatted, but had this problem.

White space is a good thing, and plenty of it is fine. It lets the reader take a breath, and tells him or her that it's time for something new.
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

krodman
Private E-1

Postby krodman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 pm

I think it just looks better. It's your book, and it's up to you.

wantstolaugh
Private E-1

Postby wantstolaugh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:44 am

FYI, i like page breaks, and i like drop caps too, i think it looks more professional... but guess what... it looked great on smashwords, but on kindle, the first letter that should have been a drop cap was like 2 lines above where it should have been, so now i dont bother.

humor, historical fiction, erotica

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 am

It's not like you're wasting paper and it looks better. I think ebooks without breaks is the mark of an amateur.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

Ricky Baxter
Private E-1

Postby Ricky Baxter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Yep buddy, you need to do it, otherwise amazon will not take your passionate work any further. It's no biggie though, just head to amazon.co.uk (or com) and find the kindle tab. You should be able to download their manuel of all the requirements they need. I am too in the process of releasing my next novel. it can be a hassle, but your book should be worth all the pain and suffering. You want readers to take you seriously, right? Good luck!

(Sorry, URL removed - off-site promotion is not allowed here.)
To take the throne of God, one must first cut the head of the King.

Return to General Questions & Discussions