[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
As readers do you trust self-published books? : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

As readers do you trust self-published books?

stray dog
Corporal

As readers do you trust self-published books?

Postby stray dog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:26 am

As a reader would you buy a self-published book?
How can you know if it is a good book in the sea of bad quality self-published books?

robjvargas
Captain

Re: As readers do you trust self-published books?

Postby robjvargas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:03 am

In general, I don't buy any books online unless I've seen it in a bookstore and have been able to peruse it. I don't like the "Look Inside" feature because I want to choose for myself where to look (ie, random pages). But never say never. If it were from a previously trade-published author, or just an author I liked, sure. Or someone who knew my tastes recommended it, why not? However, as robjvargas noted, if the cover looks amateurish, or I see even a couple bad edits in the sneak peak, I figure the book as a whole is going to be a chore to read, and I won't spend a dime on it. A freebie - maybe.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

stray dog
Corporal

Postby stray dog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:40 am

Thank you robjvargas and shadowwalker for your viewpoints.
In effect I think this is the problem when an author self-publishes his work, especially if it's his first time: even if the author takes a lot of care in every details, it's difficult for him to be trusted...

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:13 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

stray dog
Corporal

Postby stray dog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 am

Yes, you are right, but that isn't the point...
I mean that, even if the product is WONDERFUL, maybe the only fact of being self-published can be disadvantaging, because many people have a bias against self-publishing.
I think many authors have a bias against it too...

Return to General Questions & Discussions