[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
So many editors out there, how to find the right one : General Questions & Discussions • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

So many editors out there, how to find the right one

Arabrab

Re: So many editors out there, how to find the right one

Postby Arabrab » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 am

Thank you Terry for responding. I am new here, and was looking for writers here that would like to share their experiences with editors. Paul
wrote many replies, however he has never used one! So I'm glad that you understand my questions
Yes, editors are expensive, however I also agree with you, an educated, talented, professional in any venue will be costly, and I am prepared for that.
I am a very creative writer, no education, but I believe I have a knack for it. For me, writing my memoir's first draft is not focused at all on grammer,
puncuation, any of that. To me, that inner critic will prevent creativity for that first draft to really shine. If Paul writes that way, it doesn't work for me
I would never finish the first draft, getting hung up on detail that would need to be fixed/altered, later after the first pass.
I might have not explained the pricing just right, I found in the ballpark of $500 just to read my first draft manuscript, and would include first
impression, suggestions, opinions about theme and general feedback. That is what I want. The final edit is for grammer, puncuation, all of that,
after my story flows correctly, and is presented to the reader in the very best way I (and the editor) knows how.
I imagine I will spend in the vicinicy of ten grand, because I won't send my memoir out into the world without knowing that it
is a quality product. Truly, I am shocked at writers who edit their own work, and then publish, such as Paul. I really don't know his
work since I just joined, but if he has succeeded at selling a large ammount of books, and is proud of them, then that works for him.
I"m not getting to much response on here so I don't know if this site is generaly that busy, but for me, believing in our work only
supports the notion of having a professional editor step in. And like anything else, it's costly, which is why I would never let anyone at
Createspace edit it. Thanks for responding, I'd be interested in hearing about what you wrote, and what your experiences were.
I believe the process much more involved than simply having others, wether in a writing goup or editor, correct grammer.
Even the most experienced and successfull writers use editors for substansive, quality editing that helps organize the story,
offers suggestions for story flow, and incorporates suggestions for structure and readability. Grammer comes last.
Thanks Terry,
What have you written?
take care
Arabrab

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:43 am

Suck it up and learn to write or have someone else do it for me? I"m looking for a ghost writer because I don't write well enough, based on my
posts which I"m just typing away without a care in the world if there are typos or not? You're not making disparaging comments?
Join a writers group? Paul, enough
Thanks for your responses, but you have never used an editor. Most likely because of you lacking that experience, your ability to answer my
questions are non existant. I think I see between the lines of why your'e responding, and because of that I am sorry that you feel so strongly
that you must focus on my posts. Terry's response was just the type I was looking for.
So you are telling me, advising me to "suck it up and learn to write? And your a moderator?
I am fifty eight years old with a beautiful story to write, with a successful book out already. I have no ego nor need to compete.
I am not looking for a ghost writer, I work hard each day on my book and am eagerly looking forward to choosing an editor, which
you have never done.
Paul, enough
take care
Arabrab

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I have nothing published if that's what you're asking. I continue to write and submit to agents. :D

Not that I'm defending Paul because he's more than capable, but I believe what he is saying has its merits. Prior to me wanting to become a writer, I rarely proofread anything I wrote. It was only when I took a class with a very well-known author that I realized that the pen (computer now) is my new work instrument. I not only must take pride in the novels I've written (I've written three and now working on number four.) but also in anything I post, whether it's in an email, professional documents, or posts online in forums such as this. It's called practice. Practice makes perfect. I don't abbreviate anything. Not even in texts on my phone. The more you write to perfection the better and closer you will be to achieving your goals. I proofread everything I write now, multiple times. There will be times when I make a mistake, we all do, and if it’s in a forum that I can edit, I always go back and fix. If English is not your native language, that makes the task that much more difficult. Not sure if that’s the case.

As for editing your own work, Paul and some others on this forum are former teachers. That gives them a one up in my book because they’ve spent their entire career writing. I, like many aspiring authors, never paid attention in English class.

The best advice I can give and I take it partially from Paul’s advice is you are better off learning to edit on your own, even if you finalize the memoir to the best of your ability and then spend very little on an editor to do a proofread only. Once again, editors do make mistakes. Good luck.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:44 pm

I would never hire an editor for a first draft. Surely you want to polish your work to the best of your ability before you send it off for edits. Why pay an editor to fix things you should be able to fix yourself? That makes no sense to me. Polish that story to the very best of your ability, and then hire an editor to do the stuff you can't do for yourself.

As for grammar coming last, I don't agree with that either. Many times someone will post something for critique with a note to ignore spelling and grammar, and I can promise you that it works against them. It's really hard to concentrate on "story" when the spelling and grammar mistakes are jumping off the page to distract you. Look at it this way, every time you use a word wrong, or spell a word wrong, or screw up the punctuation, it's like a slap to the face of the reader. That mistake is a distraction. And anything that distracts makes it much harder for that reader/editor to focus on the "beauty" of your story.

As to finding the right editor for you, I suppose the best way might be to look for self-published books that you think are well edited, find out the name of the editor, and hire them to edit your book. That's how I'd do it.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Personal attack deleted, and attacker deleted from this forum -pls.

Previous

Return to General Questions & Discussions