[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
So many editors out there, how to find the right one : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

So many editors out there, how to find the right one

Arabrab

So many editors out there, how to find the right one

Postby Arabrab » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm

I would like to know if any of you have opinions on the above topic. I have self published my first book, a combination poetry/color photography
book which I did all of the work myself. I did not have anyone help me and carefully proof read my work before printing and publishing.
It came out very nice and I'm proud of it, however, my question is regarding my second book, a memoir, which I am writing now.
I have a clear vision of my story, my goal for the reader, and the books message. I am pretty much self motivated so I don't need anyones
help prodding me along. My problem is that I will be ready to submit my manuscript to an editor soon, and there are so many editors out there
i'ts almost scary. I talked to one, he wanted to work with me in segments, at $250.00 for each three hour sets. He said it didn't matter that he
read my entire manuscript, and to let him help me as I go along. I dissagee with this, as uneducated as I am, I feel strongly about finishing my
first draft and having the editor see the entire vision I have for the story. I just now read a post (somewhere here) that says never pay an editor
to read the first draft. How is that? I would imagine that for their time, they would need to charge a fee. I have seen in the vicinity of 4 to $500.
to read a first draft. should I expect to pay that?
I will need to have some pretty intense editing, not only with content organization and proper story flow, but basic proper writing as well.
I will either use Createspace or Lightening Sourse, who I used with my first book. Has anyone used their editing services? They seem too cheap
and that concerns me, as I know a good editor will be expensive, which I am prepared for.
If anyone can answer any of this, or offer what you've experienced, this is my next hurdle, and its a huge one.
thanks
Arabrab

pls
Site Admin

Re: So many editors out there, how to find the right one

Postby pls » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 pm

As the resident "grammar shark", I had to count the usage errors in your post. Found seventeen.

Now, I'm not trying to be snarky, just realistic, as if the writer doesn't copyread his own first draft and edit it to the best of his ability, a competent editor is going to charge big bucks to whip the draft into publishable shape, as opposed to tweaking here and there and adding necessary commas.

Perhaps your local writing group(s) can help you out somewhat with early-draft editing and save you some time or money? The prices you quote seem not out-of-line and and perhaps even below what I've seen quoted here from time-to-time. I don't have any experience with CreateSpace or Lightning Source charges, so I can't help you there.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 am

Thank you for your reply, and for finding so many errors! However, perhaps I'm a bit different from all of you, but posting here I just type away,
not really checking for errors, I didn't even look over what I typed, just asking questions. I had no idea anyone would create an asumption that
my work would be as poor as my posts, but looking at it from your perspective, I can see how someone could do that.
My question still remains, did you pay an editor to read your manuscript? Did you work in segments, or did you complete a first draft
from start to finish, rework it to the best of your ability, and when it was all you could possibly do with it, then send it off for a first edit?
Oh, I didn't check my post for errors, so in humor, no big deal,
just looking for answers, opions, information
thanks
ARabrab

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 am

I had a few more questions if you would like to respond. I just joined this site, and see that you have been here awhile. What are your writing interests?
What publishers have you used? What kind of editors have you used? Do you have any you would recommend, not recommend? I will be using
either Lightening Sourse again (which I used for my first book and had a very postive experience) or CreateSpace, but will not be using their
editing service. I need someone who can see the vision of my story and help me to present it in the very best possible way, (would that be
a "developmental" editor? And of course when that is completed, then the grammer and spelling ect.... editing follows.
I would very much like to here from your own experiences and knowledge if you would like to share...
Thanks
Arabrab

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you for your reply Yes, I was responding to you, you were the only one who posted,, ha
Anyway, I think you were on a tangent here, I would never edit my own work. I am not asking about a particular type of editing, for grammer...
I am asking about all types, and apparently you do not hire editors. I am curious, how many of your books have you sold?
My first book is doing well, a poetry book that I did entirely on my own. I will not be doing that on my memoir. I need to find someone to
read my first draft manuscript, and start with a developmental editor to assist me with helping me portray and write my story in the
most concise and engaging way possible. I have a wonderful story to tell, and I am about halfway through the first draft. I am not even
concerned with the grammer corrections yet, that will come later.
Again, I would never take on the sheer magnitude of trying to edit my own work, even if I was an editor. We cannot view our work as
someone else would, and by using other writers in a writers group, I would never trust unless of course they were editors.
I am impressed if you are a successfull writer, and have sold many copies of your work. Again, I will only publish my next book after
it has gone through the many stages of editing, not just copy editing.
I thank you for your response, if you'd like to see my book (which has no grammer errors!!) it's called "Natures Inspirations" and
it's on Amazon. It's doing very well in local shops here.
I am new here, so if you would like to continue to make disparaging comments about my posts and spelling errors, using that as
a basis for my writing skills, so be it. I'm just here to learn and progress.
Are there reviews for your books online? Now I"m very curious!!
take care
Arabrab

Arabrab

Postby Arabrab » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 am

I just found your link and saw your book on Amazon. I read your eight reviews and seven of them praised your book. I always wonder when I
see a book self published on Amazon, with so few reviews. No offense intended, but sometimes I wonder if those reviews were from people who
know the writer, say from a writers group or something.
Just wondering....
I don't have any reviews on Amazon, what I do is bring them to shops on my own in person, I guess that's the old fashioned way.
Do you have other books out? I only saw that one.
Again, I'm impressed that you never hire an editor, and you are not an editor.
You'll never know I imagine how an editor may very well improve elements that as writers we simply can't and don't see.
Thankyou for this opportunity to learn about you and your skills
take care
Arabrab

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 am

One thing you have to be aware of when hiring an editor is, are you planning to self publish? Editors are very expensive, at least the ones that are good at what they do. You get what you pay for. If you pay $500 for an editor to help you develop your memoir, I believe you are getting a horrible editor. I could be wrong and often am. :D A good editor and this is one that does a full line edit of something already finished, may cost as much as 4 to 5 cents a word. That equates to thousands of dollars not hundreds. Here's something I pulled off the Internet. As you can see, developmental edits are the most expensive type of edits. And not all editors specialize in developmental edits. There is a big difference in copyediting and developmental editing.

Depending on the type of editing desired, what should be a book editor charge? The following book editor rates were suggested by the Editorial Freelancers Association in 2008:

Basic copyediting: $25 to $40 per hour Pace: 5 to 10 pages an hour
Heavy copyediting: $35 to $50 per hour Pace: 2 to 5 pages an hour
Substantive editing: $40 to $65 per hour Pace: 1 to 6 pages per hour
Developmental editing: $50 to $80 per hour Pace: 2 to 5 pages per hour

Now if you plan on going the traditional publishing route, you, without a doubt, must learn how to edit your own stuff. Even if you use mentors, writing groups, online groups, etcetera, you must learn how to edit your own work. Agents and publishers may help you along the way, but the final product is your responsibility. Even the best editors will make mistakes. :D

I believe Paul has at least 7 novels out, not just one.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 am

Here's the latest rates from the Editorial Freelancers Association. :D

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am

Terry's right - I have seven e-books, all YA novels, online. You can follow the link in my sig to find them all on Amazon, and if you want to read reviews of my other books, you can do a search on the various e-book publishers' sites under my name: "Paul Swearingen". I'm not divulging sales records, but I have sold copies of each of them.

You're right - some of the reviews of my books are solicited ones, a few from other writers here. That's a common and accepted practice, you know, but I do ask for honesty, so not everyone provided full-fledged five-star reviews for my books. But even the ratings average on iTunes of my first book (45 so far and all unsolicited) is a solid "4". My favorite unsolicited four-star review, on Barnes & Noble, is from Jade: "This book is ok idk if its my fav but i do know it was ok".

I am also not disparaging your posts here, Arabrab. But I am saying that you do need to improve your basic usage and punctuation skills if you intend to move into publishing books written in prose, unless you hire a ghostwriter, which is actually what you're asking for, not an editor, to write a book for you. And the average charge for a ghostwriter these days is $36,000: http://deardrfreelance.com/2010/10/free ... ing-rates/

It would be much cheaper to take a beginning writing course at the local community college and invest in a copy of "Elements of Style", I believe.

Think of it this way. If I'm a carpenter who has hung out his shingle to advertise for work, I will have thousands of dollars invested in proper tools so I can construct, say, a garage. Would I go out with a pair of pliers and a tack hammer and pretend that I'm a carpenter? I don't think so! Just because you possess a basic vocabulary of, say, 12,000 words doesn't mean that you are now ready to make a living via writing, either.

Suck it up and learn to write or hire someone to do it for you? Your choice.

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions