[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Where do I fit?! : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Where do I fit?!

RichT
Private E-1

Where do I fit?!

Postby RichT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:27 am

I've just published my first novel on Amazon ("Weaving Tangled Webs" by Richard T. Foster) and am now realizing, not before time, that, when you self-publish, a marketing strategy is a must-have! My problem is that my novel is a romance, written by a man, with a male protagonist. Yes, there are (at least) two strong female characters involved but the book is largely written from the male standpoint. Have I unknowingly strayed into chick-lit territory and, as a guy, am I even qualified to do so?! Yes, it's easy to suggest that it will sell if it's good but I really need to try to narrow things down a little. Any advice on a sub-genre would be very welcome.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Where do I fit?!

Postby pls » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Without sampling it, I'd be hard-pressed to say, but I would suggest "romance", "male romance", or perhaps "erotic" could be possibilities, or even "literary". Dunno about "chick lit". Let's hope not, lol.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

KerriFF
Private E-1

Postby KerriFF » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 am

There is a huge market for "erotic" fiction these days and having a romance written from a male perspective just might give you an edge in that genre. If you can swing it that way, it might work out well for you.
Kerri Farrell Foley
Author of
Editor of

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:11 pm

RichT
Private E-1

Postby RichT » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks, Paul, Kerri and Metilda for taking the time to provide some really useful suggestions and constructive feedback. My book is not overtly erotic in the Fifty Shades' dominance/submission, sadism/masochism sense but more about a young man who enters a steep learning curve about sex, love and rejection. Yes, sex, love and lust provide the main ingredients so I'll pigeonhole it in 'Erotic Romance' for now.

I guess that I'll have to wait for feedback from a few readers and let them decide into which sub-genre it fits best. Therefore, my next question must be: Is my book sufficiently erotic for it to qualify for a place in the Erotic Romantic Fiction genre? Please read, review and advise.

For now, as you suggest, Metilda, I'll stick my book on Goodreads and see what happens.

Here's the link to my book: (Sorry - no promotions in this forum -pls.)

Return to General Questions & Discussions