[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I could really use some help. : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I could really use some help.

Lanian
Private E-1

I could really use some help.

Postby Lanian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi everyone.
First off, this isn't me trying to just sell my book.
I released my first novel on amazon this weekend, but even after advertising with friends and family, I've simply stalled.
So I'm looking to writer's forums for help.
I'm curious as to what I'm doing wrong. At what point would people on amazon actually see it?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6GYFRW
That's the link. I figure many of you have done this and might catch something I've missed.
If you see anything that I could change/rewrite/recategorize/etc. I'm wide open to suggestions.
Thanks,
-J
-J.T.
My book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6GYFRW

pls
Site Admin

Re: I could really use some help.

Postby pls » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Lanian
Private E-1

Postby Lanian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. So you suggest I do more statements and less questions, or eliminate the questions entirely?
Are there any facebook writers' groups you suggest? I'll have to look up Goodreads.

As for the unfinished work- Yeah, I was trying to space out my releases to get more exposure. Part 2 should be good to go in about 2-3 weeks, and Part 3 following shortly thereafter.
I'll take a look at Smashwords.

As for the price- I couldn't imagine charging more than 99c for the first ~65 pages. I didn't plan to jack up the price higher and higher though- I was thinking 1.99 for parts 2 and 3. Is that reasonable?
-J.T.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Is the 65 pages a part 1 of x? This is more of a short story so that may be one of your problems. People can buy full length novels for the same price. If this is a small part of an overall novel you need to tell people or they will feel cheated and not come back.

The first novel or in your case short story is always hard to sell. You have to keep churning them out.

Use Paul's suggestions to get the story out there to more venues.

Start up a FB page and start friending people. This is one of the many avenues to increase your name recognition.

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Lanian
Private E-1

Postby Lanian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:55 pm

-J.T.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am

Lanian
Private E-1

Postby Lanian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:49 am

Oof. Yeah, I don't plan to wait that long. I figure more than a few weeks and I'd be forgotten- regardless of how interesting/well-written.
And I'm sticking with low prices. I don't plan to gouge people. It'd be lame if people didn't buy part 1 because they felt swindled before.
I wrote the whole thing first, so I could time the releases out- try to generate some exposure. Part 2 is going through final edit. Part 3 I'm cleaning up and about to send that way.
-J.T.

wantstolaugh
Private E-1

Postby wantstolaugh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:41 am

Hi. I have my own group of a dozen writers, all in different stages. They are good people and there is a ton of info... from ebooks to audiobooks. From promoting online to cheap places to buy business cards and promo items.

You have to promote yourself everyday... you can get 250 business cards for FREE at vistaprint, paying only for the shipping. I got them, set up a free blog, and passed them out to everyone--- bank tellers, waiters, toll takers... today I walked along the philadelphia streets handing out my cards saying "Free ebook if you contact me on my site". I have since upgraded from he free blog to the paying site through vistaprint-- it was free for one month. I'm quite happy with it. Go through your facebook & email contact lists and send out a notice about your book and what you have planned... write to me on my site, and I will send one to you that i just did.

You have to get creative. For May & June, I am going to donate $1 of every book sold (whether paperback/ebook/audiobook) to the National Military Family Association, in honor of Memorial Day. That just opened up a huge fan base... I have been posting it on military sites, the spouse sites, i did an email campaign. Everywhere I looked, (i would have to go back and look at the links if you want the proof) the research said that people buy more books from emails than any other source... you know why? cause they open the email when they have time to read it. If you tweet or FB at an inopportune time, they miss it. That is not to say that FB & Twitter are bad.

Don't expect to sell a ton either. People thought i was crazy cause i put "Goin Postal: True Stories of a US Postal Worker" which is hysterical and about the things we find in the mail-- human heads, alligators, drugs, bombs... and the crazy people who work with me--- I put this in a "two books in one" combo... with a historical fiction. You know what happened? I sold 80 in two weeks... to the postal workers, who already knew i was funny--- but saw the serious side in the historical fiction and want more. I just finished my second book, have two audiobooks in production, and have two books im writing simultaneously--- that is something else the research said-- keep writing, and ALWAYS do an audiobook (which you can find info about on my old blog [url]goinpostalnj.blogspot.com[/url]) when people hear that you have an audiobook, they consider you to be a credible author. Little do they know that you can get published with no money out of pocket. I have been publishing since The beginning of March, have made $500 (not bad for an unknown-- paid my car)... and paid only $4 for the shipping on my free business cards, $5 for the proof of my paperback including shipping... I did put a shipment of books on my credit card, but i have already sold them, so i got the money back before the bill came in.

you can do it. My biggest problem, trying to get people to write reviews and put them in one spot. I have some on smashwords, some on B&N, on goodreads, on Amazon. google.... i would rather have them all i one place. THAT is driving me insane. The other problem i have faced? Some other authors... some authors are great, informative, helpful... and others have written me telling me to remove a post cause they "didnt like it" too bad. LOL well.. if you need help, im here

humor, historical fiction, erotica

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions