[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
CreateSpace Says Book has Boxes in Place of Characters : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

CreateSpace Says Book has Boxes in Place of Characters

mfarraday
Lieutenant

CreateSpace Says Book has Boxes in Place of Characters

Postby mfarraday » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:26 pm

I am trying to get my Dad's book of poems published. I spent a couple hours yesterday editing it, and proofreading, making sure the page numbers were all right. Then I uploaded it. Today I got a message saying that the PDF was rejected because there were tons of boxes in place of characters. Well, I definitely do not want to publish it that way, so of course I'm happy they caught that, but those boxes are not in the .docx version that I uploaded to CreateSpace. How can I remove these boxes if they're not in the Word version? What causes this?

Thanks for any insight,

M.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: CreateSpace Says Book has Boxes in Place of Characters

Postby robjvargas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11 am

It sounds like you're using a font that Createspace doesn't have.

Use Times New Roman, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, and you can undo the change, then you simply need to choose a different font.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am

And don't use docx. Use rtf. Utilize Smashwords' Style Guide (http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52) to format your book. Sounds as if you didn't clear some formatting from your file.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:02 am

I think Word allows you to embed the font data into the document. Or that might be automatic if you convert to PDF first.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Ok, thanks! :)

One other question...if I have my name on the book in any way - I am listed right now, as having 'assisted' my Dad - will I then be listed as an author or editor by Amazon, etc.? I purposely chose the option that sounded the least involved, but I am not sure I want to be google-able with relation to this project. The only other alternative is to not be named in it at all.

I don't really want to appear as an editor or writer for this. I didn't write any of the poems in the book. I'm doing minimal prep to get it online.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

wantstolaugh
Private E-1

Postby wantstolaugh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:20 am

my advice... use PDF not Word. It claims to accept word, and at first i was like, "why are all these people complaining, it works!" Then I found out why.... my 220 page book was getting uploaded to a 900 page book.. with tons of spacing and all kinds of errors. The best way to do it, is to use the styles/formatting options for both pages and paragraphs. this is something that I did not realize-- you can format both... it helps with the headers/page numbers. I can send you a template, and you can paste your work into it. Worst case scenario, you send me your work, and i can format it for you. (all these people are witnesses, im not going to steal it).... but i feel ur frustration.

My first attempt at publishing was smashwords.. their vetter system made me almost through the computer out the window. Then i got quote from the people they say are pros to get the format done--- uh... the cheapest was $50... the hightest was $140. So here's my offer, write to me here or on my website, and I will help you out for free. Then just tell people who i am LOL I need any publicity i can get.

humor, historical fiction, erotica

Return to General Questions & Discussions