[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Copyright advice? : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Copyright advice?

zjdraper
Private E-1

Copyright advice?

Postby zjdraper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Here's the situation. There's some old books (registered in 2006) that I was going to e-publish. I'd like to use the 2006 library of congress registry date, along with the date of the year I actually publish. So it would read "copyright 2006, 2014" for example. Is this acceptable, or are we only allowed to put the year of first publication there? Reason I'm asking: Back in 2006, during the date of first registry, there was much less overlap between these books and other media. Since then, they've become retroactively less original. As such, I'd like to protect myself from false accusations of unoriginality, not to mention frivolous lawsuits. Advice?

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Copyright advice?

Postby robjvargas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 pm

You probably want to ask a copyright lawyer.

I *think* that you can use the original 2006 copyright, but if you use my advice, it'll be worth exactly what you paid for it. :?
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:17 pm

You'll definitely need to acquire a new ISBN for each e-book. But Smashwords provides those for free.

If these were published in 2006, who is the current copyright holder?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

zjdraper
Private E-1

Postby zjdraper » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:35 pm

They weren't published in 2006. In 2006, I had them registered with the library of congress as a precaution before I started sending them out. Unfortunately, I never got an agent to so much as read a sample, hence the plan to self-publish. I'd still -like- to use the 2006 registry date in the date list in addition to actual publication date. However, I'm not sure if that fits protocol.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Return to General Questions & Discussions